A 15-year-old Tamil girl who claims she was abducted by separatist rebels and forced to undergo guerrilla training has escaped a rebel camp in eastern Sri Lanka, the military and police said yesterday.
The girl, who has not been named, told police that two women from the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) rebels snatched her from her home in eastern Batticaloa district on Dec. 18, and took her to Thoppigala, a jungle training camp in the east, military spokesman Brigadier Prasad Samarasinghe said.
Six other girls were also abducted on the same day and forcibly taken for weapons training, Samarasinghe said, quoting the girl.
She escaped early on Tuesday, found her way through the jungle and surrendered to police on Thursday, Samarasinghe said.
"She told the police that there are about 30 to 35 girls at the LTTE camp who are undergoing forced training," he said.
A police officer at Aralaganwilla, where she sought shelter, said the girl had bruises on her legs and hands when she arrived.
"She looked very tired and had injuries specially on her legs," police officer Mahinda Waydyathilaka said by telephone.
"We gave her rice and curry and send her to Polonnaruwa where she will complete legal formalities before she can be handed over to her parents or guardians," he said.
Waydyathilaka said the girl does not want to go home.
"She told us that she is very afraid that the Tigers will come for her again. She is a very frail looking girl, but had enough courage to trek through jungle," he said.
There was no independent confirmation of the incident and the UN children agency, UNICEF, had no information, according to spokesman Francis Mead.
Phone calls to the rebels' northern headquarters at Kilinochchi rang unanswered yesterday.
Tamil rebels are known to have recruited underage fighters -- sometimes by force -- since their separatist rebellion began in 1983. Rebel leaders say forced recruitment no longer takes place and that the movement has strict rules against underage fighters.
Sri Lanka's government has accused the Tamil rebels of abducting at least 455 boys and girls from government-controlled areas this year to be trained as combatants. UNICEF has said insurgents recruited 539 underage combatants this year up to the end of last month.
Separately, Tamil rebels fired at a military post in northern Jaffna peninsula late on Thursday, Samarasinghe said, wounding one soldier.
More than 3,500 combatants and civilians have been killed in fighting this year, according to the Defense Ministry.
Japan said it opposed changes to the G7 nations as it pushed back against a reform plan by US President Donald Trump that would have rival South Korea this year join in an expanded meeting. Tokyo has told the US it stands against South Korea’s participation on the grounds of differences in policy on China and North Korea, Kyodo News reported this weekend, citing more than one source related to Japanese and US diplomacy. Japan also wants to maintain its status as the only Asian country in the group, the news agency added. Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga yesterday told reporters that
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
PLAYING THE VICTIM? A Chinese spokesman sent a statement to Australian media saying that Beijing had ‘irrefutable’ evidence of Canberra’s widescale espionage Australia yesterday unveiled the “largest-ever” boost in cybersecurity spending, days after Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison spoke out about a wave of state-sponsored attacks suspected to have been carried out by China. Morrison and government officials said the country would spend an additional A$1.35 billion (US$928 million) on cybersecurity, about a 10 percent hike, taking the budget for the next decade to A$15 billion. The largest chunk of the new money would help create 500 jobs within the Australian Signals Directorate, the government’s communications intelligence agency. Morrison on June 19 said that a “state-based actor” was targeting a host of