Oil majors were on high alert in southern Nigeria on Thursday after at least three people were killed in an armed attack on foreign-owned oil facilities.
Unidentified armed men attacked facilities owned by two foreign oil companies overnight, while a third oil major, which was attacked earlier in the week, starting relocating the families of its staff.
An attack on Total took place at the Obagi residential facility in the southern Rivers State, heartland of the oil industry in the volatile Niger delta.
"In Obagi, we have three deaths among the policemen guarding the facility," a company spokesman at the group's headquarters in France said, adding that no Total employee had been killed.
Armed men also attacked a flow station operated by Agip, a subsidiary of Italy's Eni, at Tebidaba in the neighboring southern state of Bayelsa, a military officer said on Thursday.
Eni said it was "not aware of any damages to the flowstation nor to Agip's personnel."
It made no mention of possible casualties among any other party, saying only that "18 local workers and no expatriates were present at the flowstation" at the time of the incursion.
It was not apparent whether there was any link between the two attacks.
No group has so far claimed responsibility for either attack.
The Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND), an armed movement operating in the delta, on Thursday said it was not involved in either incident.
A spokesman for Total said earlier that the attack on his company was not the work of any militant organization but rather that of bandits.
MEND carried out and claimed responsibility for two car bombs on Monday in Port Harcourt, the capital of Rivers State, that targeted two other oil majors, Shell and Agip.
The group also threatened to step up both the intensity and the "ruthlessness" of its attacks on oil company targets and made comments that might have been perceived as particularly threatening to Shell, industry sources said.
"We hear they are beefing up security in their premises but if the Green Zone in Iraq can be penetrated, how difficult will it be to penetrate Shell?" MEND said.
Shell on Thursday began relocating the families of its staff from its three residential facilities in the delta -- Port Harcourt, Warri and Bonny -- to a location or locations outside Nigeria. Industry sources said some 400 family members were affected.
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting
CHANGING PERCEPTIONS: In its tender, the Hong Kong administration said that it had failed to ‘mobilise the community to support law enforcement actions’ The Hong Kong government has agreed to pay millions of pounds to a discreet London-based PR firm to counter coverage of the territory in the international media. Consulum, which has also represented Saudi Arabian Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, was on Monday awarded the ￡5 million (US$6.2 million) one-year contract to improve Hong Kong’s reputation — the same day that China passed national security legislation targeting the territory. The Mayfair-based PR business was founded by Tim Ryan and Matthew Gunther Bushell, two former employees of Bell Pottinger, an agency that has been criticized for representing some governments and leaders that other businesses