Rioters set cars alight, looted and blocked streets in Paraguay's capital on Tuesday as anger flared over a court verdict relating to a fire in a supermarket that killed 350 people.
Relatives of the victims and survivors of the 2004 fire wanted a murder conviction for three men -- an owner of the supermarket, his son and a security guard -- who were accused of locking the doors when the blaze broke out.
About 100 family members in a court audience surged toward the judges on Tuesday after the three-member panel indicated it was divided 2-1 in favor of lesser manslaughter charges against three defendants blamed -- rather than willful homicide charges most relatives wanted.
But the hearing was suspended before a decision could be filed, as spectators overturned courtroom tables and tossed chairs, spilling out of the hearing and marching to the supermarket headquarters, where they dumped groceries into the street, lit fires and skirmished for hours with police.
Television pictures showed burning cars lying in the streets as police armed with riot shields, water cannons and tear gas fought to quell the unrest. Crowds of people could be seen throwing stones, and official reports said at least 31 people had been hurt and 30 arrests made.
"In spite of the confusion, the police practically have control of the situation," Interior Minister Rogelio Benitez told local television.
During the unrest -- the worst seen in the South American country in seven years -- hundreds of rioters stormed into a supermarket belonging to the same chain where the fire took place in August 2004.
The impoverished country's worst peacetime tragedy, the fire broke out in a grill restaurant in the vast Ycua Bolanos supermarket on the outskirts of the capital.
It quickly spread, causing the roof to collapse and engulfing an underground parking area. The fire killed 350 people and seriously injured 400.
Prosecutors said the building was not equipped with proper fire escapes or alarms.
The three people convicted on Tuesday were the firm's main shareholder, Juan Pio Paiva, his son Victor Daniel Paiva and security guard Daniel Areco.
They pleaded not guilty, denying the doors had been shut to prevent looting and saying victims had not been able to escape because of the speed with which the flames and toxic gases spread.
The conviction for involuntary manslaughter normally carries a maximum prison term of seven years, while murder can be punished with a 25-year sentence.
"What's happened is painful, though we can't say it's surprising," Prosecutor Edgar Sanchez told reporters after the verdict was given. "Two months ago, we presented a complaint about rumors of bribery, but we didn't think anything would come of it."
"The judges are corrupt and now they'll have to face the consequences. This is inhuman and we urge the people to come and support us," said Liz Torres, a member of an association of victims' families.
An Australian university student who has never visited China and has only a modest social media following would seem an unlikely target for the Chinese government. However, when a Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman personally denounced Drew Pavlou at a news conference, it was just the next phase in an extraordinary campaign against the 21-year-old that has fueled concerns over China’s targeting of critics overseas. Pavlou first placed himself in the superpower’s sights when in July last year he organized a small sit-in at the University of Queensland, where he studies, to protest against various Chinese government policies. Since then, the Global
‘ASKED TO MOVE OUT’: Indonesian coast guard personnel argued with a Chinese vessel over territorial claims after it entered the country’s exclusive economic zone An Indonesian patrol ship confronted a Chinese coast guard vessel that spent almost three days in waters where Indonesia claims economic rights and that are near the southernmost part of China’s disputed claims to the South China Sea. The Indonesian Maritime Security Agency on Friday night detected Chinese ship 5204 entering Indonesia’s exclusive economic zone (EEZ) in what Indonesia calls the North Natuna Sea. The agency sent a patrol ship that closed within 1km of the Chinese coast guard vessel and they communicated to affirm their position and their nation’s claims to the area, Indonesian Maritime Security Agency head Aan Kurnia said. “We
BEFORE WINTER COMES: Snow cuts off roads into Ladakh for four months or more each year, so the crunch is on to get food, tents and high-altitude equipment to Leh From deploying mules to large transport aircraft, the Indian military has activated its entire logistics network to transport supplies to thousands of troops for a harsh winter along a bitterly disputed Himalayan border with China. In the past few months, one of India’s biggest military logistics exercises in years has brought vast quantities of ammunition, equipment, fuel, winter supplies and food into Ladakh, a region bordering Tibet that India administers as a union territory, officials said. The move was triggered by a border standoff with China in the snow deserts of Ladakh that began in May and escalated in June into hand-to-hand
Since her personal telephone number was posted online, Hong Kong democracy advocate and Hong Kong Confederation of Trade Unions chairperson Carol Ng has received menacing calls from strangers and been bombarded with messages calling her a “cockroach.” She is not alone. A sophisticated and shady Web site called HK Leaks has ramped up its “doxxing” — where people’s personal details are published online — of Hong Kong democracy advocates, targeting those it says have broken Hong Kong’s National Security Law. Promoted by groups linked to the Chinese Chinese Communist Party and hosted on Russia-based servers, HK Leaks has become the most prominent “doxxing”