A video of the lavish wedding that Myanmar's military ruler Than Shwe threw for his daughter sparked outrage yesterday in one of the world's poorest countries.
In the 10-minute clip posted on the Internet, Thandar Shwe is shown covered in layers of pearls, diamonds and other gems, while her groom splashes champagne across rows of glasses at the July wedding.
She and her groom, Major Zaw Phyo Win, are also shown in a bridal suite the size of a ballroom, standing before a gold-braid bed with a towering red canopy.
The Myanmar news magazine Irrawaddy estimated the value of the gifts at more than US$50 million -- or more than three times the nation's health budget.
Myanmar analyst Aung Naing Oo said he was stunned by the video and struggled to find a comparison.
"You might want to talk about Marie Antoinette," he said. "They don't know what is going on outside and they just keep making themselves more rich."
"I'm not surprised that people are very angry," he added.
"The whole affair is very tasteless ... Four, five, six diamond garlands. I've never seen it before," he said.
Myanmar is one of the world's poorest countries, where the UN estimates 40 percent of children are malnourished.
Even the relatively well-off in Yangon experience power outages that last up to seven hours a day and struggle to find gas for their cars.
The leak of the video offered a rare opportunity to peak under the blanket of secrecy in which Than Shwe wraps his government.
"This video clip was originally obtained from a private Web log in Rangoon [Yangon] and had been circulating within the former capital for more than a month," read a brief note attached to the video on the Web site YouTube.
"It was a glittering affair," said one Yangon resident, who spoke on condition of anonymity.
He said the lavish wedding gifts were given by the guests in hopes of winning favor with the regime.
"They bring a lot presents so they can try to receive favors later," he said.
While the video has sparked outrage among exiles, relatively few people inside Myanmar are likely to see it.
The military keeps tight controls on the Internet, and while DVD copies have circulated discreetly among Myanmar's markets, few of the nation's impoverished people have any way to play them.
The junta keeps such tight control over all its activities that the appearance of the video immediately sparked questions as to how it was leaked.
"Outsiders cannot even dream about getting close to the first family. So the cameraman I think must be highly regarded and trusted by the first family," Aung Naing Oo said. "The very fact that the video is out [means] that someone close to them must have leaked it."
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told