French police detained five people, including at least three minors, early yesterday for questioning in the search for arsonists who set fire to a bus and seriously burned a woman passenger in Marseille.
The five, one only 14-years-old, were taken into custody after a pre-dawn police raid in the area where a bus was doused with petrol and set alight on Saturday, a source close to the probe said.
A 26-year-old Senegalese university student trapped on the bus was in hospital in critical condition with burns to more than 60 percent of her body, as France feared more nationwide street violence like the riots which rocked the country last year.
The attack was the worst incident in a surge of urban violence last weekend that coincided with the anniversary of riots that erupted across high-unemployment, mainly immigrant suburbs last year.
The prosecutor's office has opened a formal investigation for arson causing serious bodily harm or permanent injury, a crime liable to up to 30 years in prison.
About 50 police officers took part in yesterday's raid, which lasted about an hour and went off without incident, according to the source.
Police in plain clothes raided several apartment buildings in the suburbs of Marseilles in their hunt for the culprits.
"This is my son, he's 14, he has an alibi," cried one of the youth's father as police whisked him away in the raid.
The daily Le Parisien newspaper yesterday reported that the perpetrators of the attack on the bus had reportedly been filmed by a video system on the vehicle.
French Prime Minister Dominique de Villepin and Interior Minister Nicolas Sarkozy vowed on Monday that everything would be done to catch the perpetrators who targeted the bus.
Sarkozy said those responsible would be brought to justice.
"Believe me, we will find them," he said after an emergency meeting with Villepin and transport chiefs.
"This is a promise I made to the family" of the woman, Mama Galledou, Sarkozy said. "And this promise will be kept."
The woman had recently obtained a master's degree in nutrition at a Marseille university, where shocked friends were to hold a rally in her support early yesterday.
The head of the burns clinic treating the injured woman, Jean-Claude Manelli said her face, legs, arms, hands and throat were burnt, exposing her to breathing, neurological and infectious problems.
She was on artificial respiration and in an artificial coma.
Although the driver and other passengers escaped in time, the woman was unable to do so.
Villepin said he looked to toughening laws against those involved in such attacks, including against minors. He also urged witnesses to come forward so that the arsonists could be "brought before the courts."
French President Jacques Chirac said in an interview in Le Figaro newspaper yesterday that France must remain "firm in the face of violence" while working to guarantee opportunity to all citizens, including immigrants and their children.
"Everyone must be conscious of their role in society and reject violence," Chirac said, adding that the "situation remains difficult in certain areas."
He was buoyed by jobless figures showing unemployment fell to 8.8 percent of the workforce in September. In some areas worst-hit by last year's riots the jobless rate is as high as 40 percent.
Bus drivers in Marseille and Nice resumed work on Monday after stoppages to protest the attack.
‘CONFESSED’: A court in Beijing said that former CCP member Ren Zhiqiang abused his power at a state firm and embezzled almost US$7.14 million of public funds A Chinese tycoon who called Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) a clown and criticized his handling of the COVID-19 pandemic was yesterday jailed for 18 years for corruption, bribery and embezzlement of public funds. Ren Zhiqiang (任志強) — once among the Chinese Communist Party’s (CCP) inner circle — disappeared from the public eye in March, shortly after penning an essay that lambasted Xi’s pandemic response. His outspokenness had earned the former chairman of state-owned property developer Huayuan Group the nickname “Big Cannon.” Yesterday’s verdict said that Ren embezzled almost 50 million yuan (US$7.4 million) of public funds and accepted bribes worth 1.25 million
AUSTRALIAN SITE: China has had a contract with SSC’s Yatharagga station since at least 2011, but the last time it used it was in June 2013. No final date has been given China would lose access to a strategic space tracking station in Western Australia when its contract expires, the facility’s owners said, a decision that cuts into Beijing’s expanding space exploration and navigational capabilities in the Pacific region. The Swedish Space Corp (SSC) has had a contract allowing Beijing access to the satellite antenna at the station since at least 2011. The station is located next to an SSC satellite station primarily used by the US and its agencies, including NASA. The Swedish state-owned company said it would not enter into any new contracts at the Australian site to support Chinese customers after
OFF BORDER ISLAND: The fisheries official disappeared from a patrol vessel wearing a life jacket and leaving behind his shoes, indicating an intentional move, Seoul said North Korean soldiers shot dead a suspected South Korean defector at sea and burned his body as a COVID-19 precaution after he was interrogated in the water over several hours, Seoul military officials said yesterday. It is the first killing of a South Korean citizen by North Korean forces for a decade, and comes with Pyongyang at high alert over the COVID-19 pandemic and inter-Korean relations at a standstill. The fisheries official disappeared from a patrol vessel near the western border island of Yeonpyeong on Monday, the official said. More than 24 hours later, North Korean forces located him in their waters and
The scarcity of commercial flights landing at Sydney Airport has been a disaster for airlines and workers, but for hobby pilots the COVID-19 pandemic has provided the opportunity of a lifetime. The quieter-than-usual runways mean that private pilots have been given the chance to land at the international airport for the first time. When Sydney Flight College club captain Tim Lindley put out a call, he received an overwhelming response. He eventually organized for 14 light aircraft to fly into Sydney airport on Sunday. “For a lot of the pilots involved, including myself, it was a childhood dream to land in a big