Palestinian militants in Gaza fired five rockets at Israel early yesterday, despite reports that they had agreed to halt such attacks.
Palestinian officials said yesterday that the main militant groups, Hamas, Islamic Jihad and the Al-Aqsa Martyrs' Brigades, reached an agreement to stop firing rockets if Israel calls off the Gaza offensive it launched last month after Hamas-linked militants captured a soldier in a raid on an Israeli military post. The militant groups denied an agreement had been reached.
Under the reported deal, the rocket fire was supposed to end at midnight on Saturday. But early yesterday morning, militants launched five homemade rockets into Israel, causing no injuries.
The talks in Gaza City were sponsored by Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas and Prime Minister Ismail Haniyeh of Hamas, said officials who spoke on condition of anonymity because the agreement was reached at a closed meeting.
Israel has been carrying out a campaign of airstrikes and raids into Gaza for nearly a month to pressure the militant to free the captured soldier and to stop firing rockets into Israel.
Palestinian officials said the unilateral Palestinian ceasefire was meant to end the offensive. But the militant groups denied a ceasefire had been reached, calling rocket fire a response to Israeli aggression.
Nabil Shaath, an aide to Abbas, said the president and the militant groups met in recent days and decided a ceasefire by Israel and the militants had to be adopted.
"A ceasefire is a ceasefire. It has to be accepted by the two parties, and it has to lead to a resolution of all the outstanding issues" in Gaza, Shaath said in an interview.
US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice was traveling to the region yesterday to explore the possibility of a ceasefire between Israel and Hezbollah. She was also expected to meet Abbas.
THE ANSWER? The drug uses neutralizing antibodies produced by the human immune system, which the team isolated from the blood of 60 recovered patients A Chinese laboratory has been developing a drug it believes has the power to bring the COVID-19 pandemic to a halt. A drug being tested by scientists at Peking University could not only shorten the recovery time for those infected, but even offer short-term immunity from the coronavirus, researchers said. Sunney Xie (謝曉亮), director of the university’s Beijing Advanced Innovation Center for Genomics, said that the drug had been successful in animal testing. “When we injected neutralizing antibodies into infected mice, after five days the viral load was reduced by a factor of 2,500,” Xie said. “That means this potential drug has [a]
It was a much-anticipated milestone likely hastened by COVID-19: New Zealand has reached a population of 5 million people, after citizens and residents rushed home when borders began to close due to the pandemic. New Zealand grew from 4 million to 5 million in 17 years, the quickest rate of growth in the nation’s modern history, Statistics New Zealand said. Migration has been the chief driver for the population of the island-nation, which increased by half a million people in the past six years alone. “The global COVID-19 pandemic has caused unusual international travel and migration patterns in recent months,” Statistics New
‘SERIOUS QUESTIONS’: Three US senators sent a letter to the US commerce secretary asking whether the project ‘takes into consideration national security requirements’ US Senator Chuck Schumer and two other Democratic colleagues have written to top US administration officials asking for details of Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co Ltd’s (TSMC) plan to build a US$12 billion fab in Arizona. Hsinchu-based TSMC on Thursday last week announced that it would build a plant to make 5 nanometer chips by 2024 that would have the capacity to produce 20,000 semiconductor wafers per month. The world’s biggest contract chipmaker already has one chipmaking fab in Camas, Washington, and design centers in Austin, Texas, and San Jose, California. It said it planned to start construction in Arizona next year and
MOM’S LONG CAMPAIGN: Mao Yin had been brought up in Mianyang, Sichuan Province, without any idea that he was the target of a decades-long, high-profile search A Chinese man who was stolen from his family as a toddler has been reunited with his parents after 32 years. Mao Yin (毛寅), then two-and-a-half years old, was snatched in 1988 when he was walking home from nursery with his father. His parents finally embraced him again on Monday in Xian, where he was born. After Mao vanished, his mother Li Jingzhi (李靜芝) quit her job and launched a decades-long search for her son, that included sending out more than 100,000 flyers and appearing on numerous TV shows. That long campaign helped 29 other families find their own missing children and made