Japan and other whaling nations on Sunday for the first time in more than two decades got a whaling group to criticize a global whaling ban, signaling they might finally have the muscle to challenge the moratorium.
The approval of a non-binding pro-whaling declaration by the International Whaling Commission (IWC), does not immediately threaten the 1986 moratorium on commercial whaling, which saved the Earth's largest creatures from extinction and which Japan would like to overturn.
But in backing by 33 votes to 32 a statement that said the whaling ban was no longer necessary, whales were responsible for depleting fish stocks and non-governmental organizations were a "threat," the IWC boosted Japan's hopes of chipping away at the ban. There was one abstention.
PHOTO: EPA
"This is a huge disaster," said Kitty Block of Humane Society International after the vote at a June 16-20 meeting of the commission in the Caribbean island state of St Kitts and Nevis. "This is now going to be their propaganda."
Japan has abided by the moratorium since it came into force two decades ago, but, along with Iceland, uses a loophole to conduct scientific whaling. Norway is the only country that ignores the ban.
More than 25,000 whales have been hunted and killed since the moratorium.
Even so, Japan and its allies have sought to return the IWC to its 1946 roots as an organization that regulates whaling, and they have encouraged new pro-whaling nations to join the commission in the hope of wresting control from protectionists. They would need 75 percent of votes in the IWC to actually end the moratorium.
"Anti-whaling countries might see this as an ending," said Joji Morishita, Japan's alternate commissioner at the IWC.
"This is the beginning of a new time for the IWC," Morishita said, adding he "wouldn't be surprised" if the next year witnessed a frantic IWC recruitment drive by both sides.
Rune Frovik, secretary of Norwegian pro-whaling lobby the High North Alliance, acknowledged the victory was symbolic, but he said it was historic.
"They've been kicking us down all the time," Frovik said. "Now we can kick back and they are on the floor."
Japan, which says some whale species have recovered enough to be hunted in a sustainable way, had been expected to secure a majority in St Kitts and Nevis -- its first in the body since the ban was approved in 1982. The moratorium came into force four years later.
But it was defeated in four far more substantive votes that preceded Sunday's so-called St Kitts and Nevis declaration.
Sue Lieberman, director of the global species program at WWF International, said the fact that a majority of IWC members had adopted language anti-whaling activists consider scientifically invalid, such as the claim that whales eat large quantities of sought-after fish, was significant but ultimately not that consequential.
"What is more important than that is this does show that Japan's recruitment drive has finally succeeded. It should be a wake-up call," Lieberman said.
Anti-whaling Australia, which argues that whale watching is far more lucrative than killing them, dismissed the declaration.
"It doesn't mean much in terms of the historic battle between the whalers and those of us who want to lock away the moratorium and bring an end to commercial whaling for all time," Australian Environment Minister Ian Campbell said.
But the inclusion of landlocked nations like Mali and Mongolia in the IWC has fueled accusations that pro-whaling Japan has been using foreign aid to persuade friendly countries to join and help it try to overturn a 1986 ban on commercial whaling.
The growing ranks of the world whaling body, which started in 1946 with 15 members and now has 70, is not due to pro-whaling nations alone.
"There are more landlocked countries against whaling than in favor of whaling," Frovik said.
Austria, the Czech Republic, Luxembourg, Slovakia, Switzerland and San Marino oppose Japan and its allies at every turn.
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
STILL AFLOAT: Satellite images show that a Chinese ship damaged in a collision earlier this month was under repair on Hainan, but Beijing has not commented on the incident Australia, Canada and the Philippines on Wednesday deployed three warships and aircraft for drills against simulated aerial threats off a disputed South China Sea shoal where Chinese forces have used risky maneuvers to try to drive away Manila’s aircraft and ships. The Philippine military said the naval drills east of Scarborough Shoal (Huangyan Island, 黃岩島) were concluded safely, and it did not mention any encounter with China’s coast guard, navy or suspected militia ships, which have been closely guarding the uninhabited fishing atoll off northwestern Philippines for years. Chinese officials did not immediately issue any comment on the naval drills, but they
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying
Ukrainian drone attacks overnight on several Russian power and energy facilities forced capacity reduction at the Kursk Nuclear Power Plant and set a fuel export terminal in Ust-Luga on fire, Russian officials said yesterday. A drone attack on the Kursk nuclear plant, not far from the border with Ukraine, damaged an auxiliary transformer and led to 50 percent reduction in the operating capacity at unit three of the plant, the plant’s press service said. There were no injuries and a fire sparked by the attack was promptly extinguished, the plant said. Radiation levels at the site and in the surrounding