East Timor's president yesterday cautioned that the government has become paralyzed and is partly to blame for the violence gripping the tiny nation because it has been unable to resolve the problems that led to the unrest.
"This crisis has shaken all of us," President Xanana Gusmao told parliament in a nationally televised speech, his first address to the country since clashes and gang violence broke out in late April following the dismissal of nearly 600 soldiers.
"We have witnessed the state become paralyzed ... and worse than that, we have witnessed that the population is suffering."
At least 30 people have been killed and more than 100,000 have fled their homes in the last month, when clashes between the dismissed soldiers and loyalist forces gave way to gang warfare. The violence has eased since the arrival of an Australian-led peacekeeping force, but many people are still too frightened to leave cramped and dirty camps to return to their dwellings.
Gusmao suggested the government was accountable for the unrest because of its "lack of political capacity to solve the problems that fell upon our hands," but stressed that he was not accusing anybody specifically.
The conflict -- a repeat on a smaller scale of the devastating violence during its bloody break from Indonesian rule in 1999 -- has intensified political tensions between Gusmao, who is popular but holds a largely ceremonial role, and Prime Minister Mari Alkatiri, who heads the ruling Fretilin party and is blamed by many for starting the conflict when he fired striking soldiers in March.
The dismissed troops, who have camped in the hills around Dili, are demanding Alatiri's resignation, but he has refused to step down.
Gusmao, who initially rejected foreign intervention, said he was grateful for the rapid international response and praised the foreign forces for helping to gradually re-establish normalcy.
"This intervention will last longer than we have imagined, for several reasons, but particularly [because] there are weapons in the hands of civilians," Gusmao said. "And the big problem is that shots have already been heard almost everywhere in the territory, as if they were drawing our attention to this extremely serious situation."
He said his government was coordinating with the Australian forces to extend their presence into districts outside the capital, Dili, where the violence has been focused.
Gusmao's government has asked the UN to establish a new mission with a police force to replace the peacekeepers, and to stay for "not less than one year."
UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan said on Tuesday that he would send a team to East Timor to prepare for the return of UN peacekeepers, but warned that a new mission would need at least six months to set up.
In 1999, East Timorese voted for self-rule in a UN-run ballot, triggering a wave of deadly attacks by pro-Indonesia militias. The UN administered East Timor for two-and-a-half years before formal independence was declared in 2002. The new outbreak of violence has left some -- including Annan -- questioning whether the UN withdrew too quickly.
Later yesterday, the Council of Ministers was scheduled to debate the new budget, which Gusmao said will be increased to about US$312 million, to pay for reconstruction after weeks of arson and destruction, as well as community development funds, a rural credit fund and US$8 million for food security.
The UN made an emergency appeal this week for US$18.9 million in emergency aid.
EVOLVING SITUATION: Of the latest cases, 23 percent were found to be asymptomatic, but the coronavirus strain in Da Nang is more contagious, authorities said A COVID-19 outbreak that began in the Vietnamese city of Da Nang more than a week ago has spread to at least four city factories with a combined workforce of about 3,700, state media reported yesterday. Four cases were found at the plants in different industrial parks in the central city that collectively employ 77,000 people, the Lao Dong newspaper said. Vietnam, praised widely for its decisive measures to combat the novel coronavirus since it first appeared in late January, is battling new clusters of infection having gone for more than three months without detecting any domestic transmissions. Authorities yesterday reported one new
‘COVIDIOTS’: Politicians condemned the protest that came amid surging infections in the country, while a marcher said government-induced fear weakened the body Loudly chanting their opposition to masks and vaccines, thousands of people on Saturday gathered in Berlin to protest against COVID-19 restrictions before being dispersed by police. Police put turnout at about 20,000 — well below the 500,000 organizers had announced as they urged a “day of freedom” from months of virus curbs. Despite Germany’s comparatively low toll, authorities are concerned at a rise in infections over the past few weeks and politicians took to social media to criticize the rally as irresponsible. “We are the second wave,” shouted the crowd, a mixture of hard left and right and conspiracy theorists, as they converged
A cat that went missing on a family holiday on the shores of Loch Lomond, Scotland, has been identified 12 years later. Tortoiseshell-and-white Georgie spent October half term in 2008 with her owners at the Rowardennan campsite, but vanished as they were due to return home to Greater Manchester, England. After a search of the site the Davies family departed without Georgie, hoping the three-year-old microchipped feline would be located by someone. Over the intervening 12 years, she remained close to the Queen Elizabeth Forest Park site, being fed and cared for by campsite staff and holidaymakers. After the COVID-19 pandemic hit and lockdown
Three Micronesian sailors stranded on a remote Pacific island have been found alive and well after a rescue team spotted their giant SOS message written into the sand on a beach. Australian and US military aircraft found the three men on tiny Pikelot island, nearly 200km west of where they had set off. Rescuers said that the men were “in good condition” with no significant injuries. The men had been missing for three days after their 7m skiff ran out of fuel and strayed off course. Authorities in the US territory of Guam raised the alarm on Saturday after the men failed to complete