New York's subway and buses were up and running again early yesterday after a three-day public-transit strike that left New Yorkers walking and biking across the metropolis in bitter cold.
The subway began running at midnight along New York's nearly 1,000km of train lines, and buses had begun servicing their routes again on Thursday night.
The strike had affected 7 million New York workers, students and tourists as well as commuters living outside the city.
PHOTO: AFP
Mayor Michael Bloomberg announced the end of the strike on Thursday after the union for 33,700 subway and bus workers agreed to end the work stoppage without a deal on a new contract to resume formal negotiations with transit officials. They had faced substantial pressure to stop the strike, including massive fines and the threat of jail for the union's top three leaders.
"Everything will go back to normal at midnight," Bloomberg said at a news conference.
Bloomberg praised Transport Workers Union leader Roger Toussaint for "acting right" by calling off the strike before negotiations were to restart with Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA), which runs the vast transit system.
Earlier, Bloomberg had called union leaders' behavior "thuggish."
Toussaint and MTA officials earlier reached agreement with New York state mediator Richard Curreri that the strike be ended so talks could begin again.
Curreri said he had held "fruitful," albeit separate, discussions with both sides during the strike.
"Both parties have a genuine desire to resolve their differences," he said.
Transit workers, who make US$35,000 dollars to US$55,000 a year, demanded a 24 percent pay increase in a new three-year contract while the MTA offered 9 percent. Pension and health were the other contentious issues.
News that the strike had ended caught New Yorkers by surprise as offices were closing on Thursday. Streams of people walked from midtown Manhattan toward the Brooklyn Bridge to their homes in the Brooklyn borough, some having to walk 8km each way since the strike begun.
Others shared livery cabs or taxis four or five at a time as required by the city's contingency plans.
Attendance at schools was higher on Thursday after dropping to 71 percent on Wednesday because of the strike. Restaurant business was down to 40 percent and the economic toll for department stores, museum and Broadway shows was higher.
BRUSHED OFF: An ambassador to Australia previously said that Beijing does not see a reason to apologize for its naval exercises and military maneuvers in international areas China set off alarm bells in New Zealand when it dispatched powerful warships on unprecedented missions in the South Pacific without explanation, military documents showed. Beijing has spent years expanding its reach in the southern Pacific Ocean, courting island nations with new hospitals, freshly paved roads and generous offers of climate aid. However, these diplomatic efforts have increasingly been accompanied by more overt displays of military power. Three Chinese warships sailed the Tasman Sea between Australia and New Zealand in February, the first time such a task group had been sighted in those waters. “We have never seen vessels with this capability
A Japanese city would urge all smartphone users to limit screen time to two hours a day outside work or school under a proposed ordinance that includes no penalties. The limit — which would be recommended for all residents in Toyoake City — would not be binding and there would be no penalties incurred for higher usage, the draft ordinance showed. The proposal aims “to prevent excessive use of devices causing physical and mental health issues... including sleep problems,” Mayor Masafumi Koki said yesterday. The draft urges elementary-school students to avoid smartphones after 9pm, and junior-high students and older are advised not
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying