China confirmed its second human death from bird flu and Vietnam reported an infection in a 15-year-old boy yesterday, as Japan's Health Ministry warned that local governments had stockpiled only a fraction of the antiviral Tamiflu necessary to fight an outbreak in its citizens.
The latest Chinese fatality was a 35-year-old farmer identified only by her surname, Xu, who died on Tuesday after developing a fever and pneumonia-like symptoms following contact with sick and dead poultry, the official Xinhua news agency said, citing the Health Ministry.
The woman, from Xiuning County in the eastern province of Anhui, tested positive for the H5N1 virus, Xinhua said.
PHOTO: AP
The area is about 100km northwest of Zongyang County, where the country's first human bird flu death was reported.
The 24-year-old woman, also a farmer, died on Nov. 10 with the same symptoms as Xu after coming in contact with sick chickens and ducks at home.
China's only other confirmed human bird flu case was a nine-year-old boy in the central province of Hunan, who fell ill but recovered.
In Vietnam, the country hardest-hit by the disease, health authorities said a 15-year-old boy from northern port city of Haiphong was the latest person to test positive for the deadly H5N1 strain of the virus.
The boy remains hospitalized but was expected to fully recover, said Nguyen Van Binh, deputy director of the Ministry of Health's Preventive Medicine Department.
The Tourism Administration of Vietnam also ordered all tour operators not to take foreigners near areas where bird flu outbreaks have been reported, said Vu The Binh, director of the central Tourism Department.
Meanwhile, Japan's Asahi Shimbun newspaper reported yesterday that current stockpiles of Tamiflu held by 41 of the country's 47 prefectures were sufficient for approximately 37,400 people -- amounting to just 0.4 percent of what the country's Health Ministry has recommended.
The newspaper report was based on interviews with officials overseeing local anti-bird flu efforts.
The ministry's bird flu action plan unveiled on Nov. 15 calls for prefectures to be able to treat 10.5 million people against the disease.
Five prefectures reported no stockpiles at all, the newspaper said, while a sixth did not make its information public.
Bird flu hit Japan last year for the first time in decades. There has been one confirmed human case, but no reported human deaths.
Also yesterday, the state-run China Daily newspaper reported that China was "within days" of testing a bird flu vaccine on people. There are currently no human vaccines against the disease.
China, which has the world's largest number of chickens, has called bird flu a "serious epidemic." Outbreaks in poultry are still being reported almost daily.
The leadership recently made efforts to be more aggressive and open after being reticent about releasing information during its outbreak of severe acute respiratory syndrome.
Meanwhile, a UN food agency said on Wednesday it supports China's launching a massive animal vaccination program to combat bird flu, but cautioned that quality control on vaccines made in China must be assured.
Joseph Domenech, chief veterinary officer at the UN Food and Agriculture Organization, said agency officials would be among those visiting Chinese laboratories to check that correct procedures were being used to manufacture vaccines.
In other news, hundreds of chickens in Indonesia's tsunami-ravaged Aceh province have died of bird flu, the country's agriculture ministry said yesterday.
Chickens have been infected with the H5N1 strain in at least three districts of the province, said Sjamsul Bahri, the Agriculture Ministry's director of animal health.
"Hundreds of chickens have died," he said.
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying
Ukrainian drone attacks overnight on several Russian power and energy facilities forced capacity reduction at the Kursk Nuclear Power Plant and set a fuel export terminal in Ust-Luga on fire, Russian officials said yesterday. A drone attack on the Kursk nuclear plant, not far from the border with Ukraine, damaged an auxiliary transformer and led to 50 percent reduction in the operating capacity at unit three of the plant, the plant’s press service said. There were no injuries and a fire sparked by the attack was promptly extinguished, the plant said. Radiation levels at the site and in the surrounding
‘DELIBERATE PROVOCATION’: Pyongyang said that Seoul had used a machine gun to fire at North Korean troops who were working to permanently seal the southern border South Korea fired warning shots at North Korean soldiers that briefly crossed the heavily fortified border earlier this week, Seoul said yesterday after Pyongyang accused it of risking “uncontrollable” tensions. South Korean President Lee Jae-myung has sought warmer ties with the nuclear-armed North and vowed to build “military trust,” but Pyongyang has said it has no interest in improving relations with Seoul. Seoul’s military said several North Korean soldiers crossed the border on Tuesday while working in the heavily mined demilitarized zone (DMZ) separating the two Koreas. The incursion prompted “our military to fire warning shots,” South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff