UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan arrived in Baghdad yesterday for a meeting with Iraqi leaders while a car bomb exploded outside a public market in the predominantly Shiite neighborhood of New Baghdad, killing four and injuring 19.
In New Baghdad, two men, a woman and her eight-year-old daughter were killed in the blast, which also set off a large fire in the market, police Colonel Hassan Chaloub said.
Government spokesman Laith Kubba said Annan met with Prime Minister Ibrahim al-Jaafari.
A UN statement said Annan would meet with al-Jaafari, Deputy Prime Minister Rowsh Shaways, former Prime Minister Ayad Allawi, political and community leaders as well as UN staff.
On Friday, al-Jaafari demanded that Syria do more to keep foreign fighters from crossing into western Iraq, where US troops are battling al-Qaeda-led forces after a meeting with US Secretary of State Condoleezza. On Thursday he met with British Foreign Secretary Jack Straw.
Both Rice and Straw said they wanted to encourage participation in parliamentary elections scheduled for Dec. 15. In addition to meeting with Iraq's Shiite leadership, they also met with political leaders from the Sunni minority.
The leaders of Iraq's predominantly Sunni insurgency have called for a boycott of the election. But a Sunni Muslim politician who claims to have contacts with insurgent groups said on Saturday some of its members will be running next month's elections and gave their demands and conditions to start peace talks with US forces.
Ayham al-Samarie refused to say how many insurgents groups were planning to have candidates. He did not give further details and insurgent groups in the past have denied he represents them.
"The resistance should have an active role to help Iraq get out of its crisis," al-Samarie, a former electricity minister, told reporters.
Minutes before al-Samarie spoke, a statement was distributed in his house that allegedly included the resistance's conditions to start peace talks. The conditions included an immediate end to all military operations, release of all detainees, the withdrawal of foreign troops from cities and setting a time table for the full withdrawal of foreign troops from Iraq.
In Baghdad late Friday, gunmen fired on the compound of the Embassy of Oman, killing two people and wounding two others -- the second fatal shooting involving employees of Arab embassies in Baghdad this week. One of the dead was a policeman and the other was an embassy employee.
On Wednesday, a driver for the Sudanese Embassy was shot to death in the same part of the capital, and last month two employees of the Moroccan Embassy were abducted on a highway in western Iraq.
Al-Qaeda in Iraq, led by Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, claimed responsibility for abducting the Moroccans, as well as for the July kidnap-slaying of three Arab diplomats -- two Algerians and one Egyptian -- in Baghdad.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told