The UN war crimes tribunal's chief prosecutor has accused the Vatican of failing to help -- or at least not hinder -- the hunt for a fugitive Croatian general accused of overseeing the killing of 150 Serbs, her office said Tuesday.
Carla del Ponte's spokeswoman said General Ante Gotovina, who has remained at large since mid-2001, was believed to be receiving support from a network of Catholic monasteries in Croatia.
If church officials "would give orders not to harbor war crimes suspects, if they would assist justice, fugitives wouldn't find protection in monasteries," Del Ponte's spokeswoman Florence Hartmann said.
Hartmann added that Del Ponte sent letters to the Vatican and met with top church officials this summer requesting that the church reprimand Croatian Bishop Mile Bogovic, who publicly called Gotovina a hero and said his prosecution was politically motivated.
Del Ponte's pleas went unanswered, Hartmann said.
In a written response, Vatican spokesman Joaquin Navarro-Valls said Archbishop Giovanni Lajolo -- the Vatican's foreign minister -- had asked Del Ponte for evidence that Gotovina was hiding in church buildings. Lajolo said that if Del Ponte had proof, the church would "make contact with the competent ecclesiastical authorities."
But he said Del Ponte never provided more information, and was trying improperly to use the Vatican as an enforcement tool.
Del Ponte spokeswoman Hartmann said it should be up to the church to censure members who support suspected war criminals.
Catholic, Christian Orthodox and Muslim leaders "have a responsibility in the end to protect the weak, the victims. Glorifying killers is contrary to all religious teaching, as far as I remember," Hartmann said.
Croatian Prime Minister Ivo Sanader said on Tuesday that "based on all the information we're getting, Gotovina is not in Croatia."
Sanader said anyone accused of harboring suspects should appear before the court "but it's another thing whether what she [Del Ponte] said is true and what are the basis for her claims. Is it just her wish or a statement based on information?"
Tips last year that Gotovina was hiding at a monastery had been unfounded, Interior Ministry spokesman Zlatko Mehun said.
The Croatian government claims Gotovina has fled the country.
Gotovina, one of seven remaining tribunal fugitives, is indicted on eight charges including persecution and murder allegedly committed at the end of the 1991-95 war in Croatia.
Del Ponte's criticism was a "completely uncharacteristic, unfounded and indiscriminate allegation against the Church and even Pope Benedict XVI," said Anton Suljic, a spokesman for the Croatian Bishop's Conference.
The church "has no knowledge or indication on the whereabouts of fugitive General Gotovina," Suljic said.
Gotovina, 48, is viewed by many Croatians as a hero for his role in retaking land seized by ethnic Serbs.
The Hague court indicted Gotovina with masterminding the killing of at least 150 Serbs and the expulsion of 150,000 others during Croatia's 1995 offensive to recapture lands seized by rebel Serbs, who opposed the country's independence from the former Yugoslav federation.
In March, the EU said it will not begin membership talks with Croatia until it captures Gotovina and extradites him to The Hague.
EVOLVING SITUATION: Of the latest cases, 23 percent were found to be asymptomatic, but the coronavirus strain in Da Nang is more contagious, authorities said A COVID-19 outbreak that began in the Vietnamese city of Da Nang more than a week ago has spread to at least four city factories with a combined workforce of about 3,700, state media reported yesterday. Four cases were found at the plants in different industrial parks in the central city that collectively employ 77,000 people, the Lao Dong newspaper said. Vietnam, praised widely for its decisive measures to combat the novel coronavirus since it first appeared in late January, is battling new clusters of infection having gone for more than three months without detecting any domestic transmissions. Authorities yesterday reported one new
Three Micronesian sailors stranded on a remote Pacific island have been found alive and well after a rescue team spotted their giant SOS message written into the sand on a beach. Australian and US military aircraft found the three men on tiny Pikelot island, nearly 200km west of where they had set off. Rescuers said that the men were “in good condition” with no significant injuries. The men had been missing for three days after their 7m skiff ran out of fuel and strayed off course. Authorities in the US territory of Guam raised the alarm on Saturday after the men failed to complete
A cat that went missing on a family holiday on the shores of Loch Lomond, Scotland, has been identified 12 years later. Tortoiseshell-and-white Georgie spent October half term in 2008 with her owners at the Rowardennan campsite, but vanished as they were due to return home to Greater Manchester, England. After a search of the site the Davies family departed without Georgie, hoping the three-year-old microchipped feline would be located by someone. Over the intervening 12 years, she remained close to the Queen Elizabeth Forest Park site, being fed and cared for by campsite staff and holidaymakers. After the COVID-19 pandemic hit and lockdown
LIFELONG LOSS: Jiro Hamasumi, who was not quite born when an atomic bomb hit Hiroshima, lost his father and other relatives, but said he thinks about his father daily As Japan marks 75 years since the devastating attacks on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, the last generation of nuclear bomb survivors is working to ensure their message lives on after them. The “hibakusha” — literally “person affected by the bomb” — have for decades been a powerful voice calling for the abolition of nuclear weapons. There are an estimated 136,700 left, many of whom were infants or soon to be born at the time of the attacks. The average age of a survivor now is a little over 83, according to the Japanese Ministry of Health, lending an urgency as they share their testimonies