Egyptian and Palestinian forces moved to close the wide-open Gaza-Egypt border after Palestinian gunrunners smuggled hundreds of assault rifles and pistols into Gaza, according to dealers and border officials.
The influx confirmed Israeli fears about giving up border control, could further destabilize already chaotic Gaza and could weaken embattled Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas, so far unsuccessful in his efforts to impose order after Israel's pullout.
Abbas' lack of clout was evident on Wednesday when he canceled his appearance at his own celebration rally at the site of what was Israel's largest Gaza settlement, Neve Dekalim. An aide said Abbas was concerned about gunmen in the crowd, but equally disconcerting was the fact that Palestinian political factions and militant groups ignored Abbas' invitation for a show of unity, and the crowd was much smaller than expected.
PHOTO: EPA
Abbas' main rival, Hamas leader Mahmoud Zahar, appeared briefly, holding hands aloft with Abbas aide Tayeb Abdel Rahim. Hamas called its own demonstration for today.
A sign of the overall chaos in Gaza in the wake of Israel's pullout on Monday was the scene at the Gaza-Egypt border. Until Israeli tanks pulled out, it was the most closely guarded border in the region, with the Israelis trying to prevent Palestinian arms smuggling.
The exit of the Israelis was a sign for Palestinians to jump over the border walls as Egyptian forces watched.
The first day was mostly family reunions and trips to the beach, but the second day was characterized by weapons smuggling.
Palestinian Interior Ministry spokesman Tawfiq Abu Khoussa said that the border was officially closed as of 6pm on Wednesday, but Palestinians and Egyptians caught on the wrong side were being allowed to return home.
Israel voiced sharp concern about the continued disorder, sending message to the US, Egypt and the Palestinians.
"We will not put up with this," Israeli Defense Minister Shaul Mofaz said on Wednesday.
Three arms dealers interviewed separately said their "mules" have bought large quantities of assault rifles, pistols and bullets in Egypt, where prices are lower, mainly from Bedouin tribesmen, since the Israeli withdrawal was completed on Monday.
Since Monday, black market prices for weapons in Gaza have dropped sharply, the dealers said. The price of an AK-47 assault rifle fell from 1,400 Jordanian dinars (US$2,000) to about 900 dinars, while the bullets for the weapon are now being sold for as little as 3 shekels (less than US$1) when previously they cost up to 18 shekels.
Egyptian-made pistols that were recently sold in Gaza for US$1,400 can now be bought for as little as US$180, said an arms dealer who identified himself only as Khader, for fear of arrest.
Another dealer, who was interviewed in a car just outside the Rafah cemetery, said hundreds of AK-47s had been smuggled from Egypt since Monday. He said he has already sold his loot to militant groups, but declined to say how many pieces his runners brought back.
Khader, interviewed by phone, said his runners came back mainly with pistols and bullets, rather than the heavier assault rifles and rocket-propelled grenade launchers.
"My people brought me lots of things, including pistols and gold," he said.
A third dealer, who gave his name as Hafez, said competitors reported having US$1 million worth of weapons and loot confiscated, including grenade launchers.
"That's why everyone involved was concentrating on small pieces," he said.
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying
Ukrainian drone attacks overnight on several Russian power and energy facilities forced capacity reduction at the Kursk Nuclear Power Plant and set a fuel export terminal in Ust-Luga on fire, Russian officials said yesterday. A drone attack on the Kursk nuclear plant, not far from the border with Ukraine, damaged an auxiliary transformer and led to 50 percent reduction in the operating capacity at unit three of the plant, the plant’s press service said. There were no injuries and a fire sparked by the attack was promptly extinguished, the plant said. Radiation levels at the site and in the surrounding
‘DELIBERATE PROVOCATION’: Pyongyang said that Seoul had used a machine gun to fire at North Korean troops who were working to permanently seal the southern border South Korea fired warning shots at North Korean soldiers that briefly crossed the heavily fortified border earlier this week, Seoul said yesterday after Pyongyang accused it of risking “uncontrollable” tensions. South Korean President Lee Jae-myung has sought warmer ties with the nuclear-armed North and vowed to build “military trust,” but Pyongyang has said it has no interest in improving relations with Seoul. Seoul’s military said several North Korean soldiers crossed the border on Tuesday while working in the heavily mined demilitarized zone (DMZ) separating the two Koreas. The incursion prompted “our military to fire warning shots,” South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff