North Korea wants the World Food Program to shift the focus of its aid from emergency food supplies to development projects that would help the communist nation feed itself, the aid agency said yesterday.
The impoverished North has received emergency food from the WFP and other international groups to feed its 23 million people since its economy collapsed in the mid-1990s due to natural disasters and mismanagement.
The North Korean government launched talks with aid agencies last month saying that it wants to review their status and expressing "a preference for development assistance over emergency humanitarian assistance," said Gerald Bourke, a Beijing-based spokesman for the World Food Program.
North Korea made a similar plea last year. It is "concerned about developing a dependency syndrome," Bourke said.
South Korea's Chosun Ilbo newspaper reported Friday that the North demanded last month that the WFP shut its office there and that its food monitors leave the country. Bourke said the report wasn't true.
However, he said the UN agency was in talks with the government about "the terms of what we hope to be a continued presence in the country."
"Very obviously there is considerable humanitarian need still in North Korea," Bourke said.
The WFP tries to feed about 6.5 million North Koreans. Major donors include the US, South Korea, Japan and China, which along with Russia are trying to negotiate an end to North Korea's nuclear weapons program.
Nearly US$2 billion in food aid has flowed into the country over the last decade, according to a report by the US Committee for Human Rights in North Korea.
On Thursday, US President George W. Bush's newly appointed envoy on human rights abuses in North Korea suggested future US food aid might be linked to liberating political prisoners.
"I think consistent with what the president's overall approach is on human rights, and bringing North Korea directly into the community of nations, we have to take a look at all different areas of our relationship," Jay Lefkowitz said at a news conference.
In June, the US decided to ship more than 45,360 tonnes of food supplies to the North, saying the decision was based on humanitarian considerations alone and had nothing to do with efforts to get the North to disarm.
US State Department spokesman Tom Casey said later Thursday that Washington's policy has not changed.
"We do not use food aid as a weapon. Decisions on such assistance are based on need and our ability to ensure that food will reach those for whom it is intended," Casey said.
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting
CHANGING PERCEPTIONS: In its tender, the Hong Kong administration said that it had failed to ‘mobilise the community to support law enforcement actions’ The Hong Kong government has agreed to pay millions of pounds to a discreet London-based PR firm to counter coverage of the territory in the international media. Consulum, which has also represented Saudi Arabian Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, was on Monday awarded the ￡5 million (US$6.2 million) one-year contract to improve Hong Kong’s reputation — the same day that China passed national security legislation targeting the territory. The Mayfair-based PR business was founded by Tim Ryan and Matthew Gunther Bushell, two former employees of Bell Pottinger, an agency that has been criticized for representing some governments and leaders that other businesses