China should ratify a UN treaty on political rights and make progress on human rights to improve European public support for lifting a 16-year-old arms embargo, a senior EU official said yesterday.
Beijing is lobbying the 25-member European Union to lift the arms ban imposed after its 1989 crackdown on pro-democracy protesters. But Washington opposes such a step, and EU foreign ministers failed to agree at a key meeting last month on ending the embargo.
"We need to help persuade ... our European Parliament that China is making concrete steps to improve human rights," said EU External Relations Commissioner Benita Ferrero-Waldner. "It's important that China assists us to bring about the right climate."
Ferrero-Waldner was in Beijing with an EU delegation for talks with China's foreign minister and othes. She said they would cover the arms embargo, human rights, Beijing's relations with Taiwan and an EU investigation into surging Chinese textile imports. EU officials have cited Beijing's refusal to ratify the UN Covenant on Civil and Political Rights as one reason for extending the arms ban.
"The reality is, they should go for ratification," Ferrero-Waldner said.
She said the EU wasn't directly tying the lifting of the ban to human rights, but said progress would help to create an "overall climate" for ending it. Ferrero-Waldner said China's newly enacted anti-secession law, which is aimed at curbing independence activists in Taiwan -- an island Beijing claims as its territory -- also hurt sentiment in favor of lifting the arms embargo.
Noting People First Party Chairman James Soong's trip (
EU and Chinese officials will discuss the EU investigation into China's textile imports, which has alarmed Beijing. She said the EU wants to reach a settlement without triggering protective tariffs allowed by the WTO. The EU launched the investigation last month into nine types of Chinese-made clothing and textiles whose imports have jumped by up to 534 percent since a worldwide quota system ended on Jan. 1.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told