The family of an Australian engineer being held hostage in Iraq offered a "donation" to the Iraqi people yesterday, as Australia's top Muslim cleric left for Baghdad in a last-ditch effort to win his release.
Militants who seized Douglas Wood, 63, an Australian citizen and a resident of Alamo, California, released a videotape that was broadcast last Friday demanding that Australia start pulling its troops out of Iraq within 72 hours, although they didn't say what would happen if the demand was not met.
Reading from a statement at Parliament House, Wood's younger brother, Malcolm, said the family empathized with the struggles of the Iraqi people.
"To this end, out of a sense of moral obligation and solidarity, the family of Douglas Wood will be making a generous charitable donation to help the people of Iraq," he said.
"This is not a ransom; there has been no demand for a ransom," he added. "We would hope to make a significant gesture to help secure Douglas's release."
Malcolm Wood said the donation offer was being sent with Australia's most senior Muslim cleric, Sheik Taj El Din Al Hilaly, who departed yesterday for Baghdad to try to win Wood's release. He gave no details of the donation.
Wood said his brother has a serious heart condition and may not have taken his medication since his abduction more than a week ago.
Hilaly on Saturday urged the militants to release Wood, saying on Arab broadcaster al-Jazeera that most Australians do not support the government's deployment in Iraq.
On Sunday, he offered to mediate in the crisis. It was not immediately clear when the 72-hour deadline expired.
Australian Foreign Minister Alexander Downer said the government would help the cleric's visit if it could.
"He is on his way and we wish him well and obviously would do anything to facilitate his visit," Downer told Sydney radio station 2UE.
He said Australian government staff were working "day and night" to free Wood, but said he was "neither more optimistic nor more pessimistic" than over the weekend that the kidnappers would release him.
On Saturday, Hilaly sat next to the hostage's brothers and videotaped a statement in Arabic saying that he regarded Douglas Wood as his brother, a fellow Australian and an innocent man.
"We value your jihad and your efforts," the cleric told the kidnappers in his plea, broadcast by al-Jazeera. "We call upon you to do something for the sake of our community and all Australian society, which does not support [Prime Minister John] Howard's pro-American policies."
"We implore you to release him in the name of God, for the sake of the Islamic community in Australia ... and for the sake of the family of Douglas Wood," he said.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told