Nepal's King Gyanendra yesterday announced municipal elections to "activate the democratic process" following strong international criticism of his seizure of power over two months ago.
"In view of the improving law and order situation [since the royal takeover], there should not be any delay in activating the democratic process," Gyanendra said in a speech that marked the Nepali New Year.
"We have, therefore, commanded the election commission to conduct municipal elections," he said in a state radio address.
Emergency rule
The speech was Gyanendra's first nationwide address since he fired the government and imposed emergency rule on Feb. 1 to combat a growing Maoist insurgency in the poverty-stricken country.
The king, who has pledged to restore democracy within three years, said he had ordered municipal elections in the country's 58 municipalities before mid-April next year.
The Nepali calendar year runs from mid-April to mid-April.
Pressure
Gyanendra has been under heavy international pressure to re-establish democracy. India and Britain have suspended military aid and the US has threatened to follow suit.
Opposition critics said the king was playing political games with his promise of municipal polls.
"We do not support him in any of his political games," said Jhala Nath Khanal, a senior leader of the Nepal Communist Party-United Marxist and Leninist, which belonged to the sacked coalition government.
"Calling for local elections without holding parliamentary elections is meaningless," said Tribhuvan University professor Kapil Shrestha.
Cosmetic facade
The polls "will be seen as a cosmetic facade to camouflage the lack of democracy," he said.
The king said in his speech that "everyone has experienced a steady improvement in the law and order situation" since emergency rule was imposed.
Troops and police have since 1996 been battling an increasingly deadly Maoist revolt aimed at toppling the king and installing a communist republic.
The conflict has claimed over 11,000 lives.
There has been no let-up in fighting since Gyanendra assumed absolute power and analysts say the army is ill-equipped to combat the Maoists who hold sway in many rural areas.
Yesterday the royal army announced the Maoist rebel death toll from a battle in Maoist-dominated western Nepal last week had hit 166 with the discovery of 18 more bodies.
There has been no comment from the rebels on the clash, believed to be the deadliest since Gyanendra took power.
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
STILL AFLOAT: Satellite images show that a Chinese ship damaged in a collision earlier this month was under repair on Hainan, but Beijing has not commented on the incident Australia, Canada and the Philippines on Wednesday deployed three warships and aircraft for drills against simulated aerial threats off a disputed South China Sea shoal where Chinese forces have used risky maneuvers to try to drive away Manila’s aircraft and ships. The Philippine military said the naval drills east of Scarborough Shoal (Huangyan Island, 黃岩島) were concluded safely, and it did not mention any encounter with China’s coast guard, navy or suspected militia ships, which have been closely guarding the uninhabited fishing atoll off northwestern Philippines for years. Chinese officials did not immediately issue any comment on the naval drills, but they
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying
Ukrainian drone attacks overnight on several Russian power and energy facilities forced capacity reduction at the Kursk Nuclear Power Plant and set a fuel export terminal in Ust-Luga on fire, Russian officials said yesterday. A drone attack on the Kursk nuclear plant, not far from the border with Ukraine, damaged an auxiliary transformer and led to 50 percent reduction in the operating capacity at unit three of the plant, the plant’s press service said. There were no injuries and a fire sparked by the attack was promptly extinguished, the plant said. Radiation levels at the site and in the surrounding