Nepalese travelers hit the roads yesterday while food and other essential supplies began flowing freely into cities after communist rebels lifted a crippling two-week countrywide highway blockade to protest the king's power grab.
The rebels said Saturday that their decision was aimed at easing the discomfort of the common people. However, they threatened to step up their military campaign against the army.
PHOTO: AP
Fighting since 1996 to topple the monarchy and install communist rule, the insurgents blocked the country' highways using crude bombs, mines and boulders, disrupting basic supplies across the Himalayan kingdom and choking off major cities.
Yesterday, buses and cars that had been parked in garages for days ventured out onto the roads snaking through the mountainous country.
"We have had several telephone calls this morning from people who wanted to make reservations. Finally, it's business as usual," said Ram Shrestha, a ticket clerk at the local bus station in the capital, Kathmandu.
During the rebel blockade, vehicles piled up on the highways, waiting for security forces to clear explosives and escort civilian convoys to their destinations without being targeted by the insurgents. Prices of food and other essential items shot up across Nepal.
"We are lifting the indefinite blockade of transportation to show our deep responsibility toward the people," rebel chief Pushpa Kamal Dahal, also known as Prachanda, said in a statement late Saturday.
"We are going to start a new phase of movement increasing military resistance and mass movement of people," Dahal said without elaborating.
A Nepalese army spokesman declined comment.
The terror on the highways spiraled after indiscriminate firing by suspected rebels killed an Indian truck driver and wounded seven Nepalese last week.
Since then, airlines have been overwhelmed with bookings, even though only a tiny percentage of people in this impoverished country can afford air travel.
The insurgents said they were protesting King Gyanendra's decision on Feb. 1 to sack the government, impose emergency rule, and suspend civil liberties.
The monarch, who says he was forced to act because of the insurgency, has ignored repeated calls from the international community that he restore democracy.
Nepal's key allies, India and Britain, have suspended military aid and the US says it also is considering similar action. Several countries have withdrawn their ambassadors from Nepal and stopped aid.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told
Nauru said it would hold a referendum to change its official name, described as a colonial relic from a time when “foreign tongues” mangled the native language. Nauru would change its name to Naoero to “more faithfully honor our nation’s heritage, our language and our identity,” Nauruan President David Adeang said in a statement on Tuesday. The Pacific island nation’s native language is Dorerin Naoero, which is spoken by the vast majority of its approximately 10,000 inhabitants. “Nauru emerged because Naoero could not be properly pronounced by foreign tongues, and was changed not by our choice, but for convenience,” the government said in