French journalist Georges Malbrunot, who was released just before Christmas after four months in captivity in Iraq, saw in the new year at his parents' home in the south of France with tears in his eyes and a sense of relief that he was not British. \n"On Planet bin Laden, they look first at your nationality. Had we been British -- or from another coalition country -- we would have been decapitated within days," he said. \nMalbrunot, 41, and Christian Chesnot, 37, were released by the Salafist Islamic Army on 22 December after 124 days of threats from their captors, false hopes of freedom, US shelling and secret negotiations -- but allegedly no ransom payment -- by the French government. \n"We never saw the faces of our captors," said Malbrunot, who reports for the conservative Le Figaro. "They wore balaclavas. One day, one of them, who boasted that he had been trained in Afghanistan at one of `Sheikh Osama's' camps, told us not to be troubled by the balaclavas. `It means I am not going to kill you. If I was going to kill you, I would have bared my face to you right away,' he told us." \nMalbrunot believes they weren't killed -- as numerous other hostages have been -- because they were French. \n"Knowing the way the British authorities abandon their subjects when they are in trouble abroad, we were fortunate. We never doubted that everything was being done, albeit in secret, to secure our release," he said. \n"It stirs you up to realize, in restrospect, you came very, very close to death. I cried the other day in Baghdad, when French diplomats gave us their summary of our 124 days in captivity. It included two 48-hour ultimatums on our lives we never knew about. It is moving to realize the extent to which the whole of France, its government, its Muslims, and probably many influential people in the Arab world rallied to our cause." \nMalbrunot and Chesnot -- who reports for Radio France Internationale -- were abducted with their driver on Aug. 20 when on the road from Baghdad to Najaf their car was cut off by two Mercedes. \nSeven or eight armed men tore open the doors and blindfolded them. \nThe three men were held in a hut for a week, sleeping on the floor, using a hole as a toilet and being fed rice, dates, beans and bread. They saw other abductees, most of whom were later killed. \nFereydun Jahani, an Iranian consul, was to be released, but two Macedonians were beheaded after two months, as was a bodyguard for Iraqi National Congress leader Ahmad Chalabi. \n"We heard them interrogate an Iraqi hostage working on an electricity plant. They divide hostages into two categories -- those who are to be executed and those worth entering into negotiations over. Our interrogator was known as Fatso; he introduced himself as the chief intelligence officer of the Islamic Army. He was a former intelligence agent for Saddam. \n"Fatso's job was to grill us and put the evidence before a tribunal presided over by a sheikh. The tribunal apparently decided we were worth negotiating over, and on Sept. 2 Christian and I were moved to a `better place' -- a ground-floor room, about 45 minutes' drive from the farm." The driver was released. \n"We had no knowledge of the Islamic Army before they captured us. But we developed a picture of an organization with money, contacts in Europe and a double agenda -- to fight the occupation and wage a jihad as preached by bin Laden. \n"They were well-equipped, convinced that the West is waging war against the Muslim faith, and would boast of their offensives against the Americans. At the same time they were inexperienced enough to leave scraps of paper lying around that gave us clues as to where we were and what was to happen to us. \n"I would like to tell my British friends in the profession to stay out of Iraq, it's not worth it. These guys will do a Google search on you, and then you will be killed. You are a walking target."
FOX HUNT: To suppress dissent, Chinese living abroad that Xi Jinping sees as threats are told to either return to China or commit suicide, Christopher Wray said Chinese agents have been pursuing hundreds of Chinese nationals living in the US in an effort to force their return, as part of a global campaign against the country’s diaspora, known as Operation Fox Hunt, FBI Director Christopher Wray said on Tuesday. In a speech about the security threat posed by China, during which he said Beijing’s counterintelligence work was the “greatest long-term threat to our nation’s information and intellectual property, and to our economic vitality,” Wray gave the example of one Fox Hunt target who was given a choice of going back to China or killing themselves. Fox Hunt was launched
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
INTERNET CURBS: People are rushing to erase their digital footprints after police given powers over online activity, although it might take years for the full effect to be felt At midnight on Tuesday, the Great Firewall of China, the vast apparatus that limits the country’s Internet, appeared to descend on Hong Kong. Unveiling expanded police powers as part of contentious new national security legislation, the Hong Kong government enabled police to censor online speech, and force Internet service providers to hand over user information and shut down platforms. Many residents, already anxious since the legislation took effect last week, rushed to erase their digital footprint of any signs of dissent or support for the past year of protests. Hong Kong Legislator Charles Mok (莫乃光), a pro-democracy member of the Legislative
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting