Uzbeks voted for parliament on Sunday in a poll that drew sharp criticism from Europe's top election watchdog after opposition groups were barred from participating.
Responding to the criticism from the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE), President Islam Karimov said: "The OSCE cannot have the exclusive right to assess elections."
The OSCE, which sent 21 observers, has said Uzbekistan provided insufficient conditions for a democratic vote.
The OSCE said its presence should not be construed as a sign that the vote was legitimate.
After casting his ballot on Sunday at a polling station in the capital, Tashkent, Karimov said the OSCE, of which Uzbekistan is a member, "represents Europe while we're in Central Asia."
Uzbekistan has hosted US troops near its border with Afghanistan since 2001. But Washington has cut aid to the country, citing its lack of progress on democratic reforms.
"OSCE observers don't like the calm situation in which the elections are held and they are surprised why there's no fierce competition," Karimov said, defending the inactive campaigns of the candidates, all of whom represent the five parties loyal to Karimov.
None of Uzbekistan's four small opposition groups are formally recognized. They said authorities rejected their registration requests.
Some opposition parties urged voters to boycott the elections.
After polls closed at 8pm, election officials said turnout had been 85.1 percent, far more than the 33 percent minimum required to make the poll valid. The Central Election Commission said no irregularities were reported.
Karimov said on Sunday that the country had no "real" opposition and that the existing opposition groups had no popular support.
Leader of the opposition Erk Party, Atonazar Arifov, said Sunday's poll showed that "the government doesn't want either democratic rule or free elections with real competition."
The vote caps a year of growing public discontent over the lack of freedoms in this former Soviet republic and a series of deadly attacks blamed on radical Islamic groups.
The few voters who trickled into polling stations in Tashkent expressed cynicism, and many appeared to have ignored the vote altogether.
BRUSHED OFF: An ambassador to Australia previously said that Beijing does not see a reason to apologize for its naval exercises and military maneuvers in international areas China set off alarm bells in New Zealand when it dispatched powerful warships on unprecedented missions in the South Pacific without explanation, military documents showed. Beijing has spent years expanding its reach in the southern Pacific Ocean, courting island nations with new hospitals, freshly paved roads and generous offers of climate aid. However, these diplomatic efforts have increasingly been accompanied by more overt displays of military power. Three Chinese warships sailed the Tasman Sea between Australia and New Zealand in February, the first time such a task group had been sighted in those waters. “We have never seen vessels with this capability
A Japanese city would urge all smartphone users to limit screen time to two hours a day outside work or school under a proposed ordinance that includes no penalties. The limit — which would be recommended for all residents in Toyoake City — would not be binding and there would be no penalties incurred for higher usage, the draft ordinance showed. The proposal aims “to prevent excessive use of devices causing physical and mental health issues... including sleep problems,” Mayor Masafumi Koki said yesterday. The draft urges elementary-school students to avoid smartphones after 9pm, and junior-high students and older are advised not
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying