Nepal's government invoked anti-hoarding and price control laws to stem rises in food and fuel prices as a Maoist blockade of the capital entered a third day, state-run radio announced yesterday.
The indefinite blockade, to protest the disappearance of activists in army detention, halted most traffic on Kathmandu's main north and west arteries.
PHOTO: AFP
In response, the federal Cabinet late Friday appointed a 14-member committee, headed by the prime minister and including the finance and home ministers, to monitor food and fuel supplies at markets in the capital for the next two months to stem a growing black market, state-run radio said.
"The committee will make provisions of stocking up fuel and other essential items for at least two months and take records of supplies of those items in stock with businessmen," state-run radio said.
The capital region in the Kathmandu valley consists of three cities -- Kathmandu, Bhaktapur and Lalitpur -- with 1.5 million residents.
A third highway, the Mahendra which heads east from the capital to India, is partially blocked in southeastern Nepal, transport owners said, adding that most traffic to and from Kathmandu had been brought to a halt.
On Friday, two soldiers were killed and two injured while clearing mines planted to block the highway west of the capital, an army source said.
"The uncontrolled market has shot up consumer prices 25 to 70 percent within two days following the Maoist's blockade," said Nepal Consumer's Forum president Harendra Bahadur Shrestha.
Kathmandu residents facing their second rebel blockade in five months are hoarding food and oil in response, Shrestha said.
In August the Maoists staged a week-long blockade of the capital, spreading fear among the inhabitants and sending produce prices soaring.
"There is sufficient amount of food, petroleum products and other essential goods in stock for at least 10 weeks," Shrestha said.
The move by the rebels -- who are fighting to topple the monarchy and create a communist republic -- comes as King Gyanendra cancelled a scheduled 11-day visit to India on Thursday, citing the death of former Indian prime minister P.V. Narasimha Rao.
The government has set a Jan. 13 deadline for the Maoists to open negotiations. The king has said new elections would be held if they continued to resist talks.
Almost 450 people have been killed in insurgency-related violence in Nepal in the past three months, a human rights group said on Friday.
It has been the bloodiest period since the insurgency -- which has claimed more than 11,000 lives -- began in 1996, Subodh Pyakurel, president of the Informal Sector Service Center, said.
On Thursday UN Secretary General Kofi Annan called for an immediate end to the deadly fighting in Nepal and expressed concern at reports of human rights abuses.
BRUSHED OFF: An ambassador to Australia previously said that Beijing does not see a reason to apologize for its naval exercises and military maneuvers in international areas China set off alarm bells in New Zealand when it dispatched powerful warships on unprecedented missions in the South Pacific without explanation, military documents showed. Beijing has spent years expanding its reach in the southern Pacific Ocean, courting island nations with new hospitals, freshly paved roads and generous offers of climate aid. However, these diplomatic efforts have increasingly been accompanied by more overt displays of military power. Three Chinese warships sailed the Tasman Sea between Australia and New Zealand in February, the first time such a task group had been sighted in those waters. “We have never seen vessels with this capability
A Japanese city would urge all smartphone users to limit screen time to two hours a day outside work or school under a proposed ordinance that includes no penalties. The limit — which would be recommended for all residents in Toyoake City — would not be binding and there would be no penalties incurred for higher usage, the draft ordinance showed. The proposal aims “to prevent excessive use of devices causing physical and mental health issues... including sleep problems,” Mayor Masafumi Koki said yesterday. The draft urges elementary-school students to avoid smartphones after 9pm, and junior-high students and older are advised not
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying