Two teachers, a policeman and an official have been killed in Thailand's restive south in less than 24 hours, police said yesterday amid a spate of attacks on Buddhist officials which also injured a soldier and three construction workers.
Thailand's prime minister also said yesterday that senior officials face punishment for their role in the suppression of a riot in southern Thailand that left more than 80 Muslim protesters dead.
A policeman became the most recent victim of an Islamic separatist insurgency which has claimed more than 560 lives this year, when he was shot several times by attackers on motorbikes early yesterday.
"Officer Somporn Chaitatthong was shot in Pattani Province while on his way to the police station," adding Somporn died on the way to hospital.
Two teachers aged 46 and 52 were killed in the same province on Tuesday while returning home from separate schools in the towns of Pattani and Yarang.
Southern teachers were set to meet yesterday in the wake of the deaths demanding bulletproof vests and greater police and military protection, the Bangkok Post reported.
Soon after the teachers' deaths, 39-year-old village official Worawut Limbutr was gunned down while driving his car in the province's Sai Buri district, police said.
"All the men were killed by gunmen riding motorbikes," a police spokesman said.
In neighboring Narathiwat Province suspected militants ambushed a military engineering convoy, injuring a soldier and three construction workers, according to the Nation newspaper..
The insurgency has raged in the mainly Muslim south this year with almost daily attacks on police and troops, government officials and teachers at state schools. Buddhist monks and villagers have also been killed.
Security officials have said southern Islamic militants are planning major attacks in Bangkok and southern provinces next month to mark the first anniversary of the insurgency.
A security source has said that the militants planned to stage attacks in Bangkok in part to prevent the government from sending additional troops to the south.
The insurgency has rumbled for decades in the south, parts of which were an independent kingdom before being annexed by Thailand in 1902. It sparked to life on Jan. 4, with a raid on a Narathiwat military base that saw attackers kill four soldiers and steal hundreds of rifles.
Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra said a panel would be formed to set disciplinary levels after a human-rights commission investigating events at Tak Bai determined that the deaths resulted from officials mishandling the riot and its aftermath.
"We will set up a committee to establish levels of punishment for people responsible for the incident," Thaksin said. He did not say whether the officials could be tried in court.
The government-appointed independent commission focused on the events of Oct. 25, when security forces broke up a riot in southern Narathiwat, one of three provinces bearing the brunt of an Islamist insurgency that has left more than 560 people dead this year.
At least 87 Muslim protesters died, including 78 in custody. Most suffocated after being bound and piled into the backs of army trucks.
"The commissioners said those senior officials did not thoroughly carry out their jobs and that lower-ranking officials were left to deal with the matter themselves," Thaksin said.
Commission chairman Pichet Soonthornpipit identified Fourth Army Region commander Lieutenant-General Pisarn Wattanawongkeeree, assistant police chief Lieutenant-General Wongkot Maneerin and Interior Ministry deputy permanent secretary Siva Saengmanee as among those responsible.
BRUSHED OFF: An ambassador to Australia previously said that Beijing does not see a reason to apologize for its naval exercises and military maneuvers in international areas China set off alarm bells in New Zealand when it dispatched powerful warships on unprecedented missions in the South Pacific without explanation, military documents showed. Beijing has spent years expanding its reach in the southern Pacific Ocean, courting island nations with new hospitals, freshly paved roads and generous offers of climate aid. However, these diplomatic efforts have increasingly been accompanied by more overt displays of military power. Three Chinese warships sailed the Tasman Sea between Australia and New Zealand in February, the first time such a task group had been sighted in those waters. “We have never seen vessels with this capability
A Japanese city would urge all smartphone users to limit screen time to two hours a day outside work or school under a proposed ordinance that includes no penalties. The limit — which would be recommended for all residents in Toyoake City — would not be binding and there would be no penalties incurred for higher usage, the draft ordinance showed. The proposal aims “to prevent excessive use of devices causing physical and mental health issues... including sleep problems,” Mayor Masafumi Koki said yesterday. The draft urges elementary-school students to avoid smartphones after 9pm, and junior-high students and older are advised not
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying