Indonesian authorities yesterday ordered a nationwide security crackdown after several foreign governments warned that terrorists were preparing to launch attacks against Western targets ahead of Christmas.
Australia's warning was unusually specific, saying it had "credible information" that terrorists could be targeting the Hilton Hotel chain in the country. The US, Britain, New Zealand and Japan also issued their own warnings but did not mention specific targets.
PHOTO: EPA
Ian Mckie, general manager of the Bali Hilton International hotel, said the US embassy told him on Wednesday there could be a possible attack on that day or yesterday on a Hilton hotel in Indonesia.
"They were specific in terms of dates. They said 15th or 16th of December," Mckie said by phone.
Indonesian police ratcheted up security at Hilton hotels yesterday.
In the Jakarta Hilton, police armed with automatic weapons stood guard next to Christmas trees hung with tinsel, searching bags and checking cars.
Hotel officials said they had not seen a mass exodus of guests, but that some groups had canceled functions in the light of the threat.
Several guests at the Jakarta Hilton and an adjoining apartment complex run by the hotel said they were leaving. Others brushed off the threats and said they would stay.
"We are moving," said an American man in the hotel lobby who gave his name as Pete. Asked if it was because of the threat, he said: "Yes, absolutely."
A few Western families in the Hilton Residence complex planned to leave temporarily, one family member said.
Suspected al-Qaeda linked militants have launched three bloody bombings on Western targets in the world's most populous Muslim nation in the past three years.
Despite scores of arrests, local police and foreign governments have repeatedly warned more attacks were likely. Several countries warn their citizens not to travel to the country at all.
"We are doing our utmost to increase our vigilance," said Jakarta Police spokesman Ciptono, who goes by a single name. "In light of the threat, the national police chief has ordered the Christmas and New Year's security operation, which was supposed to start Saturday, to begin immediately."
Ciptono was referring to the police's annual Christmas security operations, which normally involve the deployment of tens of thousands of officers to public places, including shopping malls, churches and hotels.
On Wednesday, Australia issued a fresh terror warning and the US issued one for Americans living in Indonesia. They were followed by advisories from New Zealand, Britain and Japan. Each warned of an increased risk of attacks.
Jakarta has complained that advisories are unfair in light of the global nature of terrorism, and that the panic they cause gives the terrorists a victory.
"If friendly countries issued that warning to Indonesia, it means we are kneeling to what the terrorists want," said Economic Minister Aburizal Bakrie.
Islamic militants linked to al-Qaeda have launched bomb attacks in recent years in Indonesia, hitting nightclubs in Bali, the JW Marriott Hotel in Jakarta and also the Australian embassy.
Mckie said some embassies, such as Australia, had requested their citizens at the Bali Hilton be told individually about the threat, which had been done.
"So far we haven't had anyone check out and no bookings cancelled at this stage. If there is going to be an impact there is usually a little bit of a delay factor," Mckie said.
"I do believe that the frequency with which travel advisories get issued these days does tend to diminish the impact a little bit."
But Australia's Qantas Airways Ltd said it was offering full refunds with no penalties to travellers who cancelled flights to Indonesia. Qantas and Australian travel agents said they had received few calls from concerned passengers.
"With a destination like Bali, it's been so difficult for people to get there, with flights being full. People are probably a little bit reluctant to cancel straight away," said Flight Center spokesman Haydn Long.
While the Australian warning appeared to take Indonesian police by surprise, Foreign Minister Alexander Downer said Australian officials held extensive talks with their Indonesian counterparts throughout Wednesday about the threat.
BRUSHED OFF: An ambassador to Australia previously said that Beijing does not see a reason to apologize for its naval exercises and military maneuvers in international areas China set off alarm bells in New Zealand when it dispatched powerful warships on unprecedented missions in the South Pacific without explanation, military documents showed. Beijing has spent years expanding its reach in the southern Pacific Ocean, courting island nations with new hospitals, freshly paved roads and generous offers of climate aid. However, these diplomatic efforts have increasingly been accompanied by more overt displays of military power. Three Chinese warships sailed the Tasman Sea between Australia and New Zealand in February, the first time such a task group had been sighted in those waters. “We have never seen vessels with this capability
A Japanese city would urge all smartphone users to limit screen time to two hours a day outside work or school under a proposed ordinance that includes no penalties. The limit — which would be recommended for all residents in Toyoake City — would not be binding and there would be no penalties incurred for higher usage, the draft ordinance showed. The proposal aims “to prevent excessive use of devices causing physical and mental health issues... including sleep problems,” Mayor Masafumi Koki said yesterday. The draft urges elementary-school students to avoid smartphones after 9pm, and junior-high students and older are advised not
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying