Scores of exhausted residents crowded onto ferries yesterday to escape villages ravaged by flash floods and landslides and to search for food and medicines after back-to-back storms left more than 1,100 people either dead or missing.
At least 566 people were dead and 546 missing in last week's storms, officials said. Hundreds of houses, farms, roads and bridges in the country's northeast were swept away by floods and mud, and damaged infrastructure has hampered rescue efforts and the flow of relief goods to far-flung villages.
Sporadic rain and low clouds early yesterday grounded a Philippine air force rescue fleet, spokesman Lieutenant Colonel Restituto Padilla said.
In Real, one of three worst-hit towns in Quezon province, scores of people scrambled at a pier for a place on a ferry going to Manila. The ferry has a capacity of about 100 passengers, but it was soon overwhelmed by perhaps three times as many. The captain tried in vain to turn back the throng.
Jenny Martirez, who traveled with her husband and one-year-old child, said their house in nearby Infanta town was buried under almost a meter of mud.
"There is nothing there. No food, no water. All you can see is mud everywhere," she said, adding her only hope was to reach Manila.
Meanwhile, medical teams yesterday rushed anti-venom vaccines to one Philippine town ravaged by landslides and flashfloods amid rising incidence of snake bites, an official said.
Social Welfare Secretary Corazon Soliman said local officials have reported that deadly cobras swarmed in General Nakar town in Quezon province, 75km east of Manila.
"The Philippine cobra reared its ugly head because they were disturbed," she said. "People have found that cobras were all over General Nakar."
General Nakar was one of three towns in Quezon badly hit by the recent storms.
Social Welfare Secretary Dinky Soliman appealed to foreign governments for help.
"The appeal we're now making is in rehabilitation," Soliman said on Sunday. "That really means rebuilding water systems, toilets, livelihood in agriculture for people whose farmlands were buried in mud."
US Ambassador Francis Ricciardone, who flew by helicopter on Sunday to flood-stricken Quezon villages, said roads and bridges needed to be repaired immediately to allow relief goods to flow to isolated areas.
"The devastation was worse than I had imagined," Ricciardone said. "It was quite distressing, logs everywhere, mud everywhere, roads were cut off in many places and bridges were down."
Most of the destruction was wrought by a tropical storm that blew through northeastern provinces on Nov. 29, killing at least 529 people and leaving 508 missing. Typhoon Nanmadol struck the same region late on Thursday, leaving 37 dead and 38 missing, according to revised figures by the Office of Civil Defense.
Washington offered to dispatch troops for humanitarian help. On Sunday, two HH-60 Pave Hawk helicopters from a nearby US ship delivered food and a team of experts to assess damage. The US also donated US$200,000, 500 body bags and shelter materials to the Philippine Red Cross.
President Gloria Arroyo banned logging in the Philippines after rampant deforestation was blamed for much of the devastation.
Likening illegal loggers to terrorists, drug traffickers and kidnappers, Arroyo called for harsher penalties for anyone convicted of environmental destruction in several eastern provinces.
It is estimated that less than 6 percent of the 21 million hectares of forest that existed a century ago remains intact.
BRUSHED OFF: An ambassador to Australia previously said that Beijing does not see a reason to apologize for its naval exercises and military maneuvers in international areas China set off alarm bells in New Zealand when it dispatched powerful warships on unprecedented missions in the South Pacific without explanation, military documents showed. Beijing has spent years expanding its reach in the southern Pacific Ocean, courting island nations with new hospitals, freshly paved roads and generous offers of climate aid. However, these diplomatic efforts have increasingly been accompanied by more overt displays of military power. Three Chinese warships sailed the Tasman Sea between Australia and New Zealand in February, the first time such a task group had been sighted in those waters. “We have never seen vessels with this capability
A Japanese city would urge all smartphone users to limit screen time to two hours a day outside work or school under a proposed ordinance that includes no penalties. The limit — which would be recommended for all residents in Toyoake City — would not be binding and there would be no penalties incurred for higher usage, the draft ordinance showed. The proposal aims “to prevent excessive use of devices causing physical and mental health issues... including sleep problems,” Mayor Masafumi Koki said yesterday. The draft urges elementary-school students to avoid smartphones after 9pm, and junior-high students and older are advised not
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying