Wedding guests die in crash
A speeding bus carrying wedding guests fell from a bridge in eastern Pakistan early yesterday, killing 21 people and injuring 41, police said. The accident occurred near Cheecha Watni, a small town about 130km east of Multan, a main city in Pakistan's eastern Punjab province, said Malik Khuda Bakhsh, the police chief for the area. He said the bride and groom were not in the bus when the accident occurred. The dead included three women, two children and 16 men, Bahksh said. The bus was taking the guests to the groom's home after the ceremony late on Friday at the bride's village, Zafar said.
Journalists' killer sentenced
An Afghan man accused of killing four journalists, including two from Reuters, three years ago was found guilty yesterday and sentenced to death. Reza Khan, 29, was also guilty of raping an Italian woman among the four journalists, and was sentenced to 15 years in prison on that charge, said National Security Court judge Abdul Baset Bakhtari. Khan was also convicted on a separate charge of killing his wife. The four journalists, including Australian television cameraman Harry Burton and Afghan photographer Azizullah Haidari of Reuters, were killed on Nov. 19, 2001, by gunmen at Tangi Abrishum, about 90km east of Kabul. Spanish journalist Julio Fuentes of El Mundo and Italian journalist Maria Grazia Il Cutuli of Corriere della Sera were the other two victims.
Church needs priests
The Catholic Church is advertising abroad for priests to fill vacancies in Outback Australia, news reports said yesterday. The drift away from country town and dwindling numbers in seminaries have combined to leave parishes without priests. Bishop Christopher Tilley from the Forbes-Wilcannia diocese in northern New South Wales told national broadcaster ABC that the tables had been turned on the church in Australia. "Australia is not really producing its own, so we're going to have to get priests to come to Australia from overseas," Bishop Tilley said.
Boy stabbed at posh school
A 14-year-old student stabbed a classmate in the back on Friday at the campus of an exclusive Sydney private school, police said. The victim, also 14, was not seriously wounded, said Christopher Daunt Watney, principal of the SCEGGS Redlands school in an upscale Sydney harborside neighbor-hood. Police arrested the suspected attacker and were questioning him on Friday evening. "The victim is fine, he's got some stitches," Daunt Watney said. He added he did not know of a motive for the attack. "I'm not aware of any pre-existing animosity [between the two boys]," he said.
Jenkins may be released
Former US sergeant Charles Robert Jenkins, who is serving a 30-day confinement term in Japan for deserting to North Korea four decades ago, may be released early for good behavior, Kyodo news agency said yesterday. Kyodo said the 64-year-old Jenkins may be let go as early as the end of this month. Jenkins was given the confinement and a dishonorable discharge from the military at a court martial on Nov. 3 after confessing to deserting to North Korea in 1965 while on patrol near the demilitarized zone between the two Koreas.
Ex-Nazi gets legal boost
A former Nazi commander on trial in Germany for overseeing a massacre in Czechoslovakia at the end of World War II received a legal boost Friday from a 70-year-old woman who witnessed the events. Ladislav Niznansky was the leader of a German-Czech military unit dubbed "Edelweiss," which he said he joined to avoid being sent to a concentration camp after he was caught in an uprising against the occupying Nazi forces. He is accused of responsibility in the murder of 164 people, many of them women and children, in two villages and of ordering the execution of 18 Jews in another village in a region of what is now Slovakia. The woman said the men who had fired on the civilians "wore German uniforms" and spoke only in German. Niznansky and his unit wore Slovakian military attire.