A convoy carrying Afghan President Hamid Karzai's vice presidential running-mate came under attack yesterday in northeastern Afghanistan, the presidential palace and other officials said. It was the third attack on Karzai's supporters ahead of landmark weekend elections.
The vice presidential hopeful, Ahmed Zia Massood, was not injured, said Khalik Ahmed, a spokesman at the palace. But Badakhshan Governor Said Ikramudin Masumi was among those injured. Mutaleb Beg, a local police official, said one person was killed and four others injured.
The convoy was apparently attacked by a roadside bomb or mine, presumably set off by remote control as it passed along a road near Faisabad, the capital of the province, Ahmed said.
The area is not considered a haven for Taliban rebels and had been relatively peaceful in the past. It is, however, a center of Afghanistan's booming opium and heroin trade, with poppy fields dotting the landscape.
Ahmed would not comment on who might be behind the attack, but said they would not succeed in derailing Saturday's vote. He said the governor's injuries were minor.
Ahmed Zia Massood is the brother of slain Northern Alliance commander Ahmed Shah Massood. Karzai selected him as a running-mate over current Vice President and Defense Minister Mohammed Fahim, a Tajik faction leader.
Meanwhile, the Afghan government, supported by the US and UK, is to mount an all-out push over the next six months against officials and warlords involved in the drugs trade, according to Afghan and western officials involved in counternarcotics.
It will pit the Afghan government, supported by the US and other NATO forces, against the private armies of warlords who still control much of the country.
Mirwais Yassini, head of counter-narcotics for the transitional Afghan government, said: "The 10-year strategy [75 percent reduction in five years and complete eradication in 10] is too long. You go after the high-value targets and we will do that within the next six months."
The targets would include corrupt ministers and governors in the existing government. Yassini said there could be no political reform or security in Afghanistan without tackling them.
The push comes after US impatience with Britain, which is the lead government on drugs control in the NATO-led force occupying Afghanistan, for failing to reduce drug production over the last three years.
A UN report out at the end of the month or early November will show an increase in land under poppy cultivation rising from 80,000 hectares last year to more than 100,000 this year. Three-quarters of the world's heroin comes from Afghanistan and is worth billions.
Production last year was 3,600 tonnes, with Afghan farmers receiving US$100 a kilo.
According to the officials, the drive will see the new president, to be elected on Saturday but widely expected to be a confirmation of the transitional president, Hamid Karzai, begin by cleaning out of his cabinet those ministers involved in the drug trade and the warlords and governors either running the drugs trade in their provinces or collecting "taxes" from traffickers.
Many of them have private armies, but the Afghan army and anti-narcotics units will be supported on the ground and in the air by US and NATO forces.
The Bolivian government on Friday struck a deal with protesting miners, but was still grappling with blockades and demonstrations by other workers across La Paz. Other groups are still blocking access roads into the city, which is also the seat of the government. Police on Thursday prevented the miners from entering the main square by using tear gas, while the demonstrators hurled stones and explosives with slingshots. Protests against the policies of Bolivian President Rodrigo Paz have convulsed the Andean nation since early this month, and roadblocks were choking routes into La Paz throughout Friday, the national road authority said. Miners demanded that Paz
The Philippines said it has asked the country’s Supreme Court to allow it to arrest former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s chief drug war enforcer to stand trial in an international tribunal. The International Criminal Court (ICC) last week unsealed an arrest warrant against Philippine Senator Ronald dela Rosa, accusing him along with Duterte and other “coperpetrators” of the “crime against humanity of murder.” Dela Rosa briefly sought refuge in the Philippine Senate last week while asking the Philippine Supreme Court to stop an ongoing attempt by government agents to arrest him. “By his own conduct, he has placed himself outside the protection of
A ship anchored off the United Arab Emirates (UAE) was seized and taken toward Iran and another — a cargo ship near Oman — sank after being attacked, authorities said on Thursday, as tensions escalated near the Strait of Hormuz. It was not immediately clear who was behind these incidents, but they happened as a senior Iranian official reiterated his country’s claim of control over the waterway and another said it had a right to seize oil tankers connected to the US. The turmoil in the strait has been a sticking point for weeks in talks between the US and Iran to
Crowds in Bangladesh are flocking to snap photographs with an unlikely social media star — an albino buffalo with flowing blond hair nicknamed “Donald Trump” that is due to be sacrificed within days. Owner Zia Uddin Mridha, 38, said his brother named the 700kg bull over its flowing helmet of hair resembling the signature look of the US president. “My younger brother picked this name because of the buffalo’s extraordinary hair,” he said at his farm in Narayanganj, just outside the capital, Dhaka. Mridha said that a constant stream of curious visitors — social media fans, onlookers and children — have come throughout