British intelligence's -- known as MI6 -- extensive operations in the Balkans were thrown into disarray Thursday after a Croatian newspaper revealed the identities of several alleged British spies and claimed that the Croatian government had given MI6 agents carte blanche to wiretap and conduct undercover operations against Croatian citizens. \nThe weekly news magazine, Nacional, published the names of four British diplomats it described as important spies. Nacional's claim followed the recent unmasking by a Belgrade tabloid of the chief MI6 officer in Serbia, Anthony Monckton, who has just left the Serbian capital in what was seen as a blow to MI6's activities. Monckton was then named by at least one British newspaper. \nMonckton is said to have played an important undercover role in effecting the transfer of Slobodan Milosevic to the war crimes tribunal in The Hague in 2001 and in the quest to find the assassins of Zoran Djindjic, the reformist Serbian prime minister murdered last year. \n"Monckton was a very effective member of the British embassy in Belgrade," said a well-placed British source, who ascribed the outing of the alleged agents to "rogue elements" in the Serbian, Croatian and Bosnian security services who "don't like the Balkans being cleaned up" and who used the local media to pursue grudges. The tabloid published a full front-page picture of Monckton and gave his private phone numbers. \n"It's true that the British have been particularly active in the Balkans on the intelligence front. It's a backhanded compliment to be considered a British spy," said the source. "There's usually a bit of fire in these stories." \nA UK Foreign Office spokesman said: "We never comment on intelligence matters." \nAccording to the article, MI6 put pressure on the Croatian prime minister, Ivo Sanader, to allow British intelligence to eavesdrop on Croats believed to be in contact with a Croatian war crimes suspect, General Ante Gotovina, threatening that Britain would oppose Croatia's bid to join the EU. \nUntil April, the British government was the main block to Croatia's EU ambitions, citing the arrest of Gotovina, the third most-wanted man on The Hague tribunal's list and the most-wanted Croat, as the condition for backing the EU bid. Gotovina is still on the run, but Britain dropped its opposition in April when an EU summit invited Croatia to open membership negotiations. The British shift was officially said to be because Carla del Ponte, the chief prosecutor in The Hague, announced that the Sanader government was cooperating fully with the tribunal. Nacional alleged that the real reason was the green light given to MI6. Agents obtained from Croatian intelligence the names, addresses, and mobile phone numbers of individuals believed to be in contact with the fugitive general and also asked to tap land telephone lines. \nThe magazine published a picture of a blue Bedford van with Croatian number plates, one of three said to have been brought into Croatia by British intelligence and bristling with monitoring equipment. \nAnother British source attributed the Croatian allegations to hardline Gotovina supporters within the Croatian security services. \n"The UK is the leading country pressing on Gotovina and some people here don't like it," he said. \nEarlier this year, Franjo Turek, the chief of Croatian counterintelligence, was fired by Sanader after briefing government officials on alleged British intelligence operations. Last month, another counterintelligence official, Damir Jukica, was fired after publicly criticizing the Croatian cooperation with British intelligence. Zeljko Bagic, a former national security aide to President Stipe Mesic, alleged that British intelligence had recruited a number of prominent journalists in Zagreb and was planting disinformation on the Gotovina case in the Zagreb media. \nTurek was said to have refused MI6's overtures. His replacement, Josko Podbevsek, was said to have cooperated fully. \nOn Wednesday, Ivo Pukanic, the Croatian journalist who co-owns Nacional, was denied a visa to visit Britain next week.
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
PLAYING THE VICTIM? A Chinese spokesman sent a statement to Australian media saying that Beijing had ‘irrefutable’ evidence of Canberra’s widescale espionage Australia yesterday unveiled the “largest-ever” boost in cybersecurity spending, days after Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison spoke out about a wave of state-sponsored attacks suspected to have been carried out by China. Morrison and government officials said the country would spend an additional A$1.35 billion (US$928 million) on cybersecurity, about a 10 percent hike, taking the budget for the next decade to A$15 billion. The largest chunk of the new money would help create 500 jobs within the Australian Signals Directorate, the government’s communications intelligence agency. Morrison on June 19 said that a “state-based actor” was targeting a host of
The Philippine army chief yesterday expressed outrage over the fatal police shooting of four soldiers, including two officers, and demanded justice, as both sides provided contrasting accounts of the killings. Philippine Secretary of the Interior and Local Government Eduardo Ano, a retired military chief of staff who now oversees the national police, ordered that the police involved in Monday’s violence in Jolo in Sulu Province be disarmed and restricted for investigation. Police said the soldiers were killed in a “misencounter” with a group of police officers. The army said that the two officers and two enlisted men were on a mission against