Australia yesterday refused to apologize to Spain and the Philippines for saying their withdrawal of troops from Iraq encouraged militants.
Australian Foreign Minister Alexander Downer said Spain and the Philippines needed "to face up to the truth" that they were being exploited by terrorists, who were using them as examples when threatening other countries with attack.
Spain summoned Australia's ambassador in Madrid on Monday to protest Downer's comments over the past two days, which it described as "unacceptable."
PHOTO: REUTERS
"There's no point in trying to scurry away from the truth ... I am sensitive about the fact that terrorists use the examples of Spain and the Philippines in order to put pressure on Australia," Downer told Australian radio. "If you accede to the demands of terrorists they will exploit the acceding to their demand ... we are not going to apologize. We'll let bygones be bygones."
Downer's comments came after a group claiming to be the European wing of al-Qaeda threatened Australia and Italy with attacks if they did not follow Spain and the Philippines by withdrawing their troops from war-torn Iraq.
Australia is still investigating the credibility of the threats made by the Islamic Tawhid Group in a statement posted on a Web site that said it would attack Italy and Australia with "columns of rigged cars."
The previously unheard of Islamic Tawhid Group last week also threatened Bulgaria and Poland if they did not leave Iraq.
Spain's Socialist party had vowed to pull troops out of Iraq and made good on its promise after unexpectedly winning a March 11 poll, three days after 191 people were killed in coordinated train bombings in Madrid blamed on Islamic militants.
The Philippines brought its troops home earlier this month to save the life of a Filipino taken hostage in Iraq.
Australian Prime Minister John Howard yesterday said he supported Downer's comments and denied his minister had sparked a row with Spain and the Philippines.
"There's no rift, there's a difference of opinion about Iraq," Howard told reporters in Sydney. "[The withdrawal of troops] sent the wrong signal and you don't buy immunity from terrorist attacks by giving in to them."
Howard last week defended his decision to join the US-led war on Iraq after a report criticized Australia's intelligence agencies and their assessments of pre-war information.
He has said Australia's 850 troops in and around Iraq will stay as long as necessary. A poll has shown two-thirds of Australians support his stand.
But the opposition center-left Labor party, polling neck-and-neck with the eight-year-old government, has pledged to bring troops home by late-December if it wins office in a cliffhanger election tipped for October.
Labor leader Mark Latham said Australia should be concentrating on cooperating with international allies in the war on terror rather than "squabbling."
He told reporters: "We've got to be cooperative rather than part of an international blame game."
BRUSHED OFF: An ambassador to Australia previously said that Beijing does not see a reason to apologize for its naval exercises and military maneuvers in international areas China set off alarm bells in New Zealand when it dispatched powerful warships on unprecedented missions in the South Pacific without explanation, military documents showed. Beijing has spent years expanding its reach in the southern Pacific Ocean, courting island nations with new hospitals, freshly paved roads and generous offers of climate aid. However, these diplomatic efforts have increasingly been accompanied by more overt displays of military power. Three Chinese warships sailed the Tasman Sea between Australia and New Zealand in February, the first time such a task group had been sighted in those waters. “We have never seen vessels with this capability
A Japanese city would urge all smartphone users to limit screen time to two hours a day outside work or school under a proposed ordinance that includes no penalties. The limit — which would be recommended for all residents in Toyoake City — would not be binding and there would be no penalties incurred for higher usage, the draft ordinance showed. The proposal aims “to prevent excessive use of devices causing physical and mental health issues... including sleep problems,” Mayor Masafumi Koki said yesterday. The draft urges elementary-school students to avoid smartphones after 9pm, and junior-high students and older are advised not
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying