Indonesian officials rushed to count ballots yesterday in the country's first presidential election as partial results showed President Megawati Sukarnoputri likely to contest a run-off in September against a former army general.
Megawati's showing so far is stronger than opinion polls suggested before the elections Monday, and some believe she now could pose a serious challenge to front-runner Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono in the Sept. 20 second round between the two top vote-getters.
"Neither candidate can take the next election for granted," said Dewi Fortuna Anwar, a political analyst. "Megawati faces the possibility of a coalition that goes against her simply because it wants change. Yudhoyono faces an incumbent who can make use of her office to really improve on her performance."
With just under half of the estimated vote counted yesterday, official results showed Yudhoyono leading with 34 percent ahead of Megawati on 27 percent. Another military general, Wiranto, had 22 percent.
Two other candidates shared the remainder of the votes.
Those numbers mirror that of a nationwide vote sample by the Washington-based National Democratic Institute, which showed Yudhoyono with 34 percent, Megawati with 26 percent and Wiranto trailing in third place with 23 percent.
The institute, which counted half a million votes from 2,500 selected voting stations, has accurately predicted results in dozens of elections around the world. The study had a margin of error of 1.1 percent.
None of the candidates have conceded yet, and are unlikely to do so until official results are announced on July 26, especially with the battle for the crucial second place so close.
A nationwide recount of millions of ballot initially deemed invalid when voters punched two, not one, holes in them, has also added to counting delays.
The confusion could form the basis of a legal challenge by the losing parties -- an event that is likely to test Indonesia's courts, which have a reputation for corruption and bizarre rulings.
Despite the mix-up, foreign election observers pronounced Monday's balloting a success.
Former US President Jimmy Carter, who helped monitor the voting, met with Megawati afterward to pay his respects.
"We also expressed our opinion that it was an honest, fair and safe election," Carter told reporters yesterday at the State Palace.
The September run-off and possible legal challenges mean continued political uncertainty in the world's most populous Muslim nation, at least in the short term.
Indonesia has seen three presidents in six years, sectarian and separatist violence and terror attacks by Islamic militants that have claimed 214 lives, most of them foreign tourists.
Last month, Yudhoyono warned that rival supporters might clash if there was a runoff and some supporters reiterated the warning this week.
However, widespread violence -- always a threat in previous years -- is seen as unlikely.
Since Megawati became president in 2001, critics said she had abandoned her promises to help the country's impoverished majority. Instead, she remained aloof amid economic problems and pervasive corruption, they said.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told