They lost their sons and husbands in the brutal ethnic violence of the Bosnian war nearly a decade ago. Now the mothers of Srebrenica are in the Netherlands seeking compensation from the Dutch government, which they blame for not stopping Serbs attackers from murdering their Muslim loved ones.
Nearly 50 relatives who survived the July 1995 massacre in the eastern Bosnian enclave, a UN-declared safe area at the time, came to the Dutch seat of government Thursday to press their case.
In a letter to the Dutch Foreign Ministry, their attorneys asked for US$2.4 billion on behalf of 9,000 to 10,000 survivors, alleging that the Dutch failed to meet their international legal obligations to prevent genocide.
At least 7,500 Muslim men were systematically slaughtered by Bosnian Serb soldiers during a few days of killing at the end of the 1992-1995 Bosnian war, the first genocide in Europe since World War II. Several hundred Dutch peacekeepers were unable to stop a Serb invasion and the subsequent massacre that unfolded.
"No amount of money could bring back their lives, but these people are completely destroyed after the brutal deaths of their family," said Semir Guzin, a lawyer from Mostar, Bosnia, who represents the families in the lawsuit and was also in The Hague.
"The Dutch government gave the orders; now they need to live up to the consequences. The only way is to compensate the victims," Guzin said.
A prior Dutch government accepted blame for the failed Bosnian peacekeeping mission, a painful and sensitive chapter of recent Dutch military history. The entire Dutch government of former prime minister Wim Kok resigned in April 2002, following a report by the national Institute for War Documentation which placed partial blame for Srebrenica with the government.
An official parliamentary inquiry a year later called the Dutch peacekeeping mission an ill-considered attempt to increase Dutch stature internationally.
Guzin said that at the critical moment when Serb forces attacked the Srebrenica enclave, the Dutch state decided to abandon its UN mission to protect some 30,000 Muslim refugees sheltering at their UN base. Dutch peacekeepers then did little more than look on as Serb forces separated men from women and hauled them off to killing sites.
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting
CHANGING PERCEPTIONS: In its tender, the Hong Kong administration said that it had failed to ‘mobilise the community to support law enforcement actions’ The Hong Kong government has agreed to pay millions of pounds to a discreet London-based PR firm to counter coverage of the territory in the international media. Consulum, which has also represented Saudi Arabian Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, was on Monday awarded the ￡5 million (US$6.2 million) one-year contract to improve Hong Kong’s reputation — the same day that China passed national security legislation targeting the territory. The Mayfair-based PR business was founded by Tim Ryan and Matthew Gunther Bushell, two former employees of Bell Pottinger, an agency that has been criticized for representing some governments and leaders that other businesses