Israel has solicited bids for building a 25m-deep trench between Egypt and Gaza that would block Palestinian arms smuggling after Israel withdraws from the coastal strip next year.
The trench would cost millions, and military officials said Thursday it remains unclear whether more Palestinian homes would have to be demolished to make room for it.
PHOTO: REUTERS
Israel has razed hundreds of Gaza homes in recent years, including some in a large offensive last month, to expose smuggling tunnels. In the Rafah refugee camp on the border with Egypt, the demolitions have displaced more than 13,000 Palestinians.
Palestinian officials denounced the trench plan, saying Israel is trying to choke Gaza on all sides.
"Ditches and canals in Gaza, that's how you turn the Palestinians into prisoners in their own cities," said Palestinian Cabinet minister Saeb Erekat. The plan still needs Cabinet approval.
On Thursday, the Defense Ministry published a tender for a trench that would be 4km long and 25m deep. Military officials said the trench would be nearly 120m wide and perhaps be lined with cement, but for ecological reasons would not be filled with water.
Once the bids are received in a month or two, the Defense Ministry will decide whether a trench is feasible, a military official said on condition of anonymity.
The trench would run along an Israeli military patrol road between Gaza and Egypt that is up to 200m wide and cuts into the Rafah camp.
One security official said Israel would have to widen the road to at least 300m to make room for the trench, meaning hundreds more Palestinian homes would have to be demolished. However, the military official said it would only become apparent after bids have been received whether homes will have to be razed.
In more than three years of Israeli-Palestinian fighting, Palestinian militants have dug dozens of tunnels under the patrol road to smuggle weapons from Egypt to Rafah. Israel, in turn, has repeatedly raided Rafah in search of the tunnels.
The trench idea will be presented next week to Egyptian intelligence chief Omar Suleiman, who is mediating between Israel and the Palestinians on the Gaza withdrawal, which is to be concluded by the end of September next year.
Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon refuses to negotiate directly about the pullout with the Palestinians. Suleiman will meet separately with Israeli and Palestinian leaders.
Egypt has agreed to send dozens of military advisers to Gaza to retrain the Palestinian security forces as part of a withdrawal, and there were growing signs Thursday that Cairo would also play an increasingly active role in the West Bank as well.
Palestinian officials said Egypt would run two training centers, one in Gaza and one in the West Bank town of Jericho.
UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan said Thursday he spoke to Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak about an Egyptian presence in the West Bank and Gaza. "I think that this is help that is sorely needed," Annan said.
Under Sharon's plan, Israel would evacuate 7,500 Israelis from 21 settlements in Gaza and 500 more from the West Bank.
Settler leaders have said they would not go without a struggle, but up to now stopped short of endorsing violence. However, a settler leader who once served as a top aide to former prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu was quoted Thursday as saying violence is legitimate. "The uprooting of a settlement is illegal and shocking and thus justifies the refusal of orders, violence, with the exception of the use of firearms," the settler leader, Uri Elitzur, was quoted as saying.
The Bolivian government on Friday struck a deal with protesting miners, but was still grappling with blockades and demonstrations by other workers across La Paz. Other groups are still blocking access roads into the city, which is also the seat of the government. Police on Thursday prevented the miners from entering the main square by using tear gas, while the demonstrators hurled stones and explosives with slingshots. Protests against the policies of Bolivian President Rodrigo Paz have convulsed the Andean nation since early this month, and roadblocks were choking routes into La Paz throughout Friday, the national road authority said. Miners demanded that Paz
The Philippines said it has asked the country’s Supreme Court to allow it to arrest former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s chief drug war enforcer to stand trial in an international tribunal. The International Criminal Court (ICC) last week unsealed an arrest warrant against Philippine Senator Ronald dela Rosa, accusing him along with Duterte and other “coperpetrators” of the “crime against humanity of murder.” Dela Rosa briefly sought refuge in the Philippine Senate last week while asking the Philippine Supreme Court to stop an ongoing attempt by government agents to arrest him. “By his own conduct, he has placed himself outside the protection of
A ship anchored off the United Arab Emirates (UAE) was seized and taken toward Iran and another — a cargo ship near Oman — sank after being attacked, authorities said on Thursday, as tensions escalated near the Strait of Hormuz. It was not immediately clear who was behind these incidents, but they happened as a senior Iranian official reiterated his country’s claim of control over the waterway and another said it had a right to seize oil tankers connected to the US. The turmoil in the strait has been a sticking point for weeks in talks between the US and Iran to
Crowds in Bangladesh are flocking to snap photographs with an unlikely social media star — an albino buffalo with flowing blond hair nicknamed “Donald Trump” that is due to be sacrificed within days. Owner Zia Uddin Mridha, 38, said his brother named the 700kg bull over its flowing helmet of hair resembling the signature look of the US president. “My younger brother picked this name because of the buffalo’s extraordinary hair,” he said at his farm in Narayanganj, just outside the capital, Dhaka. Mridha said that a constant stream of curious visitors — social media fans, onlookers and children — have come throughout