Snipers killed one policeman and wounded two in Indonesia's strife-torn Ambon yesterday, aiming at police and soldiers patrolling the streets to restore order, officials and witnesses said.
Although the death toll from the violence between Christian and Muslim residents rose to some 25, there were signs the fighting that flared over the weekend was dying down.
Nevertheless, the UN said 44 Indonesian staff and their families were leaving the eastern city yesterday. A UN office was among a number of buildings burnt when the violence erupted on Sunday.
Three policemen from the Jakarta mobile brigade were shot in one of the neighborhoods that has seen the worst violence, said Hamid Kasim, an editor of a local newspaper.
Kasim said locals shouted slogans blaming Christians when a wounded policeman was carried into the city's main mosque.
"People became agitated," he said.
A police spokesman said one policeman was killed, disputing earlier witness accounts that two had died.
The Indonesian government has sent 400 police and two army battalions to restore peace in the provincial capital of the eastern Moluccas archipelago. The violence has wounded about 150 people, officials say.
Analysts said complacency was partly to blame for the unrest, which stemmed from an event that has long created tension in a region still traumatized by three years of widespread sectarian fighting that killed 5,000 people before a peace deal was signed in early 2002.
The latest clashes began after police arrested people trying to raise the banned flag of a little known and mostly Christian rebel group, the South Moluccas Republic Movement (RMS), on the anniversary of a failed independence bid 54 years ago.
"The current conflict came about because of police complacency and competition among security forces over territory, between individuals in the police and the army," said defense analyst Kusnanto Anggoro.
"Containment of this flare-up will depend on how that problem is resolved. I don't believe this is coincidental."
On Monday, violence was concentrated in two mixed neighborhoods where scores of houses and a university were set ablaze. The incident prompted shops to close and halted transport in several parts of the city.
Despite the sniper shooting, Ambon was largely free of the street battles and the arson of the past two days.
"There are no more torchings. The troop reinforcements have made the conflict drop drastically. The local government has spread them around sensitive places and people are seeing things get back to normal today," said city official Isaac Saimima. "Very few Christians support RMS."
Another official said she could still hear gunfire and explosions but far less than on Sunday, when the sounds of home-made bomb blasts and shouting mobs filled the air.
Many shops and government offices had reopened.
An official from the UN Development Program said UN staff could return when security improved. The UN has been involved in rebuilding efforts.
BRUSHED OFF: An ambassador to Australia previously said that Beijing does not see a reason to apologize for its naval exercises and military maneuvers in international areas China set off alarm bells in New Zealand when it dispatched powerful warships on unprecedented missions in the South Pacific without explanation, military documents showed. Beijing has spent years expanding its reach in the southern Pacific Ocean, courting island nations with new hospitals, freshly paved roads and generous offers of climate aid. However, these diplomatic efforts have increasingly been accompanied by more overt displays of military power. Three Chinese warships sailed the Tasman Sea between Australia and New Zealand in February, the first time such a task group had been sighted in those waters. “We have never seen vessels with this capability
A Japanese city would urge all smartphone users to limit screen time to two hours a day outside work or school under a proposed ordinance that includes no penalties. The limit — which would be recommended for all residents in Toyoake City — would not be binding and there would be no penalties incurred for higher usage, the draft ordinance showed. The proposal aims “to prevent excessive use of devices causing physical and mental health issues... including sleep problems,” Mayor Masafumi Koki said yesterday. The draft urges elementary-school students to avoid smartphones after 9pm, and junior-high students and older are advised not
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying