Socialist leader Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero was sworn in as Spanish prime minister on Saturday and picked a Cabinet blending newcomers with experienced hands in charge of the economy and foreign policy.
King Juan Carlos presided over the solemn ceremony at the Zarzuela palace near Madrid, completing a shake-up of Spanish politics in the wake of last month's suspected al Qaeda-linked train bombings that killed 191 people.
"I promise on my conscience and honor to comply faithfully with the obligations of prime minister ...," Zapatero said, watched by outgoing Prime Minister Jose Maria Aznar.
PHOTO: AP
Zapatero chose to take a non-religious oath of office -- promising with his hand on the Spanish Constitution -- rather than swearing on the Bible.
He becomes Spain's fifth prime minister since democracy was restored after the death of dictator Francisco Franco in 1975.
Later Zapatero, 43, announced a Cabinet of eight men and eight women, fulfilling a promise to appoint equal numbers of men and women. Aznar's last Cabinet included five women.
Zapatero's Cabinet includes many members with no ministerial experience, but he put the most critical portfolios in seasoned hands.
His Socialists were the surprise winners of elections held three days after the March 11 train bombings, ousting the strongly pro-US Popular Party.
The Socialists won 164 seats in the lower house of parliament -- 12 short of an absolute majority -- and need support from regional or left-wing parties to get their policies through.
Mariano Rajoy, leader of the main opposition Popular Party, attacked the new government in a speech on Saturday, calling it weak and unstable.
Pedro Solbes, who stepped down early as EU monetary affairs commissioner, will oversee one of the euro zone's fastest growing economies, taking the helm of a powerful, combined economy and finance ministry.
Solbes, 61, served as agriculture and, later, economy minister under Felipe Gonzalez, Spain's last Socialist prime minister.
Miguel Angel Moratinos, 52, a veteran diplomat and former EU Middle East envoy, takes over as foreign minister.
He will need all his diplomatic skills if Zapatero goes ahead with his pledge to withdraw Spain's 1,300 troops from Iraq unless the UN takes charge there by the end of June.
US President George W. Bush has urged Spain and other allies in Iraq to stick with Washington.
Moratinos will leave on an official visit to Washington tomorrow, a day after taking office, to show Zapatero's interest in maintaining good relations with the US, ABC said. A Socialist party spokesman could not immediately be reached for comment.
Moratinos will hold talks with US Secretary of State Colin Powell and National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice.
He will stop over in Dublin for talks with Brian Cowen, foreign minister of current EU president Ireland, on the proposed EU constitution, ABC said.
Spanish opposition to a change in EU voting rules helped block agreement on the new constitution, but Zapatero has pledged to do all he can to get an agreement by mid-year.
Zapatero named Maria Teresa Fernandez de la Vega, 54, a former secretary of state for justice, as first deputy prime minister while Solbes becomes second deputy prime minister.
Zapatero chose Socialist party heavyweight Jose Bono as defense minister. Bono, 53, will have to repair relations with British Prime Minister Tony Blair, who he insulted earlier this year in private remarks to a colleague that were picked up by a television station's microphone.
The investigation of the March 11 bombings will be entrusted to Jose Antonio Alonso, 44, a former judge.
He takes over the Interior Ministry, while law professor Juan Fernando Lopez, 42, becomes justice minister.
Twenty-one people including 15 Moroccans are being held in connection with the March 11 attacks on packed commuter trains.
BRUSHED OFF: An ambassador to Australia previously said that Beijing does not see a reason to apologize for its naval exercises and military maneuvers in international areas China set off alarm bells in New Zealand when it dispatched powerful warships on unprecedented missions in the South Pacific without explanation, military documents showed. Beijing has spent years expanding its reach in the southern Pacific Ocean, courting island nations with new hospitals, freshly paved roads and generous offers of climate aid. However, these diplomatic efforts have increasingly been accompanied by more overt displays of military power. Three Chinese warships sailed the Tasman Sea between Australia and New Zealand in February, the first time such a task group had been sighted in those waters. “We have never seen vessels with this capability
A Japanese city would urge all smartphone users to limit screen time to two hours a day outside work or school under a proposed ordinance that includes no penalties. The limit — which would be recommended for all residents in Toyoake City — would not be binding and there would be no penalties incurred for higher usage, the draft ordinance showed. The proposal aims “to prevent excessive use of devices causing physical and mental health issues... including sleep problems,” Mayor Masafumi Koki said yesterday. The draft urges elementary-school students to avoid smartphones after 9pm, and junior-high students and older are advised not
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying