Three freed Japanese hostages were to leave Iraq yesterday as the government in Tokyo breathed a sigh of relief, but a controversy was brewing after two said they still wanted to work in the war-torn country.
The release of Noriaki Imai, 18, freelance journalist Soichiro Koriyama, 32, and aid worker Nahoko Takato, 34, was a boon for Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi, who had faced his biggest political challenge to date after militants threatened to kill them unless he pulled Japanese troops out of Iraq.
But the fate of two other missing Japanese remained unclear and debate over Tokyo's military mission raged on.
Koizumi, a staunch supporter of the US in Iraq, vowed again to keep Japanese troops in Iraq, but admitted he had faced a painful decision while the three hostages were in danger.
"We could not give in to the demands of the captors. But we had to rescue the three," he told reporters. "It was a difficult job."
TV news showed the trio looking tired but in good health in a meeting with a Muslim cleric who helped arrange their release.
They were to fly to Dubai yesterday and were likely to return to Japan at the weekend. But at least two expressed an intention to carry on their work in Iraq.
"I will continue," said a tearful Takato, when asked whether she planned to keep on with her aid work. "They did some awful things, but I cannot bring myself to hate the Iraqi people."
Koriyama's mother, Kimiko, said her son told her shortly after being freed that he wanted to stay in Iraq to take photos, Kyodo news agency said.
The three had already come under criticism in some quarters for traveling to Iraq despite the obvious dangers and on Friday, Koizumi reacted angrily when asked about their desire to return.
"A great number of people in the government, forgetting food and sleep, worked for their rescue," a visibly irritated Koizumi said. "They should realize this."
Chief Cabinet Secretary Yasuo Fukuda was equally annoyed.
"They should decide after they come back to Japan, cool off and think seriously," he said in reply to a question about the apparent desire of Takato and Koriyama to work in Iraq again.
The hostages' release means Koizumi and his ruling camp have avoided a worst-case scenario ahead of parliamentary by-elections later this month and a poll for the Upper House in July.
But there were no clues to the fate of two missing Japanese civilians, freelance journalist Jumpei Yasuda, 30, and Nobutaka Watanabe, 36, a former member of the Japanese military with ties to a civic group. The two were reported missing on Thursday.
"This is not a resounding success, it is not a resounding failure. It doesn't resound at all," said Steven Reed, a political science professor at Chuo University. "The worst-case scenario didn't happen, but there are still two more people."
Worries about security in Samawa, where Japan's troops are based, have also fueled fresh calls for the troops to withdraw, although defence minister Shigeru Ishiba said on Friday the situation was not deteriorating.
The government has repeatedly advised civilians, including journalists, to leave the country and 10 Japanese journalists were evacuated from Samawa on Thursday.
In line with the constitution, the law enabling the mission in Samawa limits troops' activities to "non-combat zones," a concept that critics have charged is meaningless in Iraq.
BRUSHED OFF: An ambassador to Australia previously said that Beijing does not see a reason to apologize for its naval exercises and military maneuvers in international areas China set off alarm bells in New Zealand when it dispatched powerful warships on unprecedented missions in the South Pacific without explanation, military documents showed. Beijing has spent years expanding its reach in the southern Pacific Ocean, courting island nations with new hospitals, freshly paved roads and generous offers of climate aid. However, these diplomatic efforts have increasingly been accompanied by more overt displays of military power. Three Chinese warships sailed the Tasman Sea between Australia and New Zealand in February, the first time such a task group had been sighted in those waters. “We have never seen vessels with this capability
A Japanese city would urge all smartphone users to limit screen time to two hours a day outside work or school under a proposed ordinance that includes no penalties. The limit — which would be recommended for all residents in Toyoake City — would not be binding and there would be no penalties incurred for higher usage, the draft ordinance showed. The proposal aims “to prevent excessive use of devices causing physical and mental health issues... including sleep problems,” Mayor Masafumi Koki said yesterday. The draft urges elementary-school students to avoid smartphones after 9pm, and junior-high students and older are advised not
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying