A man blew himself up in a residential area of Uzbekistan's capital on Wednesday, police said, bringing a third day of violence to a bloody close but scepticism mounted over official explanations.
A police officer said a man in the city's old district southwest of the center had blown himself up at 8pm, causing no other casualties, after the security services surrounded a one-storey clay building where he lived.
The incident was the latest in a series of blasts and shoot-outs to hit Tashkent and the ancient Silk Road city of Bukhara, killing at least 43 people since Sunday night.
A plain clothes security official at the scene of Wednesday's blast denied any hostages had been taken by the man, as reported earlier by Russian television.
The Russian news agency Itar-Tass said 30 people have been detained in the last 48 hours under anti-terrorism laws.
The police officer, who did not give his name, said police had acted on a tip-off from a detainee when they surrounded the house.
Earlier, on the streets of the Uzbek capital, few appeared surprised at the violence and some were openly sympathetic to those behind the attacks.
"The Uzbek people have had enough. I think this was aimed against the police, not ordinary people," said Guzal, 20, a student wearing sunglasses and strolling in high heels along an avenue in central Tashkent.
"I've heard people saying they support this [violence] every time I get on the bus," she said, refusing to give her family name.
"We don't know anything," said Kolya, a 53-year-old unemployed bricklayer. "People are angry. Whoever did these things lacked something, people have nothing to eat."
Police corruption, serious poverty and the lack of a legal political opposition have fostered resentment. Uzbekistan keeps its economy going mainly thanks to high cotton and gold prices.
"This is a kleptocratic government with an economic policy that is causing deepening poverty," Britain's Ambassador Craig Murray said. "Combined with strong repression and a lack of political freedom, it is radicalizing the population."
President Islam Karimov, whose motorcade travels along closed streets with a carload of troops aiming semi-automatic weapons at pedestrians, has defended his hardline stance against Muslim dissidents by pointing to the former Taliban government in neighboring Afghanistan.
US Secretary of State Colin Powell is soon to decide on whether to "certify" Uzbekistan on economic and human rights progress, without which financial aid will be blocked.
He offered assistance to Uzbekistan in a phone call to Uzbek Foreign Minister Sadyk Safaev, a State Department official said.
Human rights groups, which estimate that Uzbekistan has locked 7,000 Muslim dissidents in prisons where torture is allegedly practised, say they fear the blasts will serve as a pretext for further crackdowns against non-violent Muslims.
BRUSHED OFF: An ambassador to Australia previously said that Beijing does not see a reason to apologize for its naval exercises and military maneuvers in international areas China set off alarm bells in New Zealand when it dispatched powerful warships on unprecedented missions in the South Pacific without explanation, military documents showed. Beijing has spent years expanding its reach in the southern Pacific Ocean, courting island nations with new hospitals, freshly paved roads and generous offers of climate aid. However, these diplomatic efforts have increasingly been accompanied by more overt displays of military power. Three Chinese warships sailed the Tasman Sea between Australia and New Zealand in February, the first time such a task group had been sighted in those waters. “We have never seen vessels with this capability
A Japanese city would urge all smartphone users to limit screen time to two hours a day outside work or school under a proposed ordinance that includes no penalties. The limit — which would be recommended for all residents in Toyoake City — would not be binding and there would be no penalties incurred for higher usage, the draft ordinance showed. The proposal aims “to prevent excessive use of devices causing physical and mental health issues... including sleep problems,” Mayor Masafumi Koki said yesterday. The draft urges elementary-school students to avoid smartphones after 9pm, and junior-high students and older are advised not
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying