Immigration officials grilled British cavers for more than eight hours Friday and inspected their computers before electing to hand them over to federal police, but reported no evidence the group had been doing more than exploring caverns.
In an usually high-level dispute over a visa case, Mexican President Vicente Fox earlier in the day said he was not satisfied with Britain's explanation of what the military-linked caving team had been doing in Mexico.
Academics from Mexico's National University examined the group's equipment, backpacks and computers, said assistant Interior Secretary Armando Salinas.
"They did not find any equipment or information on those computers other than that used for cave exploration," Salinas said.
While Mexican news media suggested the British had been hunting for uranium, the federal Energy Department released a statement late Friday night saying the level of radioactivity in the cavern system the team was exploring was normal and that "no scientific reason exists to believe the zone is rich in radioactive materials."
Even so, federal police were given a chance to question the men on the uranium allegations.
Under Mexican law, immigration authorities often turn suspects over to other agencies for questioning before they are deported or allowed to go free.
If federal prosecutors determine that the men should not be charged, immigration officials would still have to decide whether they violated the terms of their tourist visas, in which case they could be punished by deportation, prohibited from returning to Mexico for several years -- or face fines of up to 3,000 pesos (US$270) or spend 18 months in jail, Salinas said.
Traveling in Nicaragua, Fox said his government had asked Britain for "clear information about what they were doing."
London's response was "frankly, unsatisfactory," the president said.
"We want more clarity about what this affair is about," Fox said.
One state official vowed to keep tighter tabs on foreigners entering under tourist visas, though his state promotes cave tourism.
British and Mexican divers helped the six trapped but unharmed cavers out of the Alpazat caverns, 175km northwest of Mexico City on Thursday, but the controversy over what they were doing underground continued to burn.
Mexican newspapers suggested the cavers were doing more than just exploring, noting they were carrying gas-sensing equipment that might detect uranium. Local cavers said the devices were meant to avoid toxic radioactive gases.
The group also was mapping the caves -- as speleologists normally do -- suggesting they were involved in scientific research.
Organized crime prosecutor Jose Luis Santiago Vasconcelos said federal police were investigating the uranium claim, but said, "We have no evidence, at this moment, of any illegal activity."
The Bolivian government on Friday struck a deal with protesting miners, but was still grappling with blockades and demonstrations by other workers across La Paz. Other groups are still blocking access roads into the city, which is also the seat of the government. Police on Thursday prevented the miners from entering the main square by using tear gas, while the demonstrators hurled stones and explosives with slingshots. Protests against the policies of Bolivian President Rodrigo Paz have convulsed the Andean nation since early this month, and roadblocks were choking routes into La Paz throughout Friday, the national road authority said. Miners demanded that Paz
The Philippines said it has asked the country’s Supreme Court to allow it to arrest former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s chief drug war enforcer to stand trial in an international tribunal. The International Criminal Court (ICC) last week unsealed an arrest warrant against Philippine Senator Ronald dela Rosa, accusing him along with Duterte and other “coperpetrators” of the “crime against humanity of murder.” Dela Rosa briefly sought refuge in the Philippine Senate last week while asking the Philippine Supreme Court to stop an ongoing attempt by government agents to arrest him. “By his own conduct, he has placed himself outside the protection of
A ship anchored off the United Arab Emirates (UAE) was seized and taken toward Iran and another — a cargo ship near Oman — sank after being attacked, authorities said on Thursday, as tensions escalated near the Strait of Hormuz. It was not immediately clear who was behind these incidents, but they happened as a senior Iranian official reiterated his country’s claim of control over the waterway and another said it had a right to seize oil tankers connected to the US. The turmoil in the strait has been a sticking point for weeks in talks between the US and Iran to
Crowds in Bangladesh are flocking to snap photographs with an unlikely social media star — an albino buffalo with flowing blond hair nicknamed “Donald Trump” that is due to be sacrificed within days. Owner Zia Uddin Mridha, 38, said his brother named the 700kg bull over its flowing helmet of hair resembling the signature look of the US president. “My younger brother picked this name because of the buffalo’s extraordinary hair,” he said at his farm in Narayanganj, just outside the capital, Dhaka. Mridha said that a constant stream of curious visitors — social media fans, onlookers and children — have come throughout