Eager to put a costly mad-cow crisis behind it, the US has wrap-ped up a probe into the origins of a mad-cow case discovered last December, without locating many of the animals that could have been in contact with the sick heifer.
"Our investigation as of today is now complete," Ron DeHaven, chief veterinarian of the US Department of Agriculture, said on Monday.
He said a total of 255 suspect US cows had been identified in the course of the crisis that erupted on Dec. 23, when a brain sample collected from a cow slaughtered in the northwestern state of Washington tested positive for bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE).
All of the suspect cows that came from Washington, Oregon and Idaho states have been culled, and samples taken from their remains have tested negative for BSE, according to DeHaven.
But the probe also had a Canadian track because the sick cow was brought to the US in September 2001 from a farm in Alberta, along with 80 other cattle, according to US officials.
And finding the heifer's former Canadian contacts that could have eaten the same possibly contaminated feed proved to be a far more daunting task.
Inside this Canadian group, investigators have identified 25 so-called "high-risk birth cohorts" that would have been born up to a year before or up to a year after the sick heifer. But only 14 animals of this high-risk group have been actually found, according to officials.
This gap notwithstanding, the department declared that the threat of further spread of mad cow disease in the US was low.
"We feel very confident that the remaining animals, the ones that we were not able to positively identify, represent little risk," DeHaven assured, adding that the US government "never expected to be able to find all of them" anyway.
More than 30 countries have suspended US beef imports in the aftermath of the December outbreak that sent US cattle futures plummeting.
FRENCH AID: Paris has sent a navy ship and aircraft from Reunion Island with some pollution control equipment, but rough seas are spreading the oil spill The operator of a Japanese bulk carrier which ran aground off Mauritius in the Indian Ocean yesterday apologized for a major oil spill, which officials and environmentalists say is creating an ecological disaster, as police prepared to board the ship. The MV Wakashio, operated by Mitsui OSK Lines, struck the reef on Mauritius’ southeast coast on July 25. “We apologize profusely and deeply for the great trouble we have caused,” Mitsui OSK Lines executive vice president Akihiko Ono said at a news conference in Tokyo. The company would “do everything in their power to resolve the issue,” he said. At least 1,000 tonnes of
They stand as eyesores to most passers-by and potential public health risks to authorities, decaying buildings wrapped in tangles of exposed wire, studded with protruding leaky plastic pipes, vegetation billowing from cracks and terraces where particulates from polluted air have accumulated over time. With skyscrapers and ultramodern developments on every side, some of these “nail houses” are also sitting on land worth millions of dollars in Shenzhen’s inferno of a property market, where new-unit and second-hand home prices rival London. In battles over land and development, the nail house phenomenon has become widespread throughout China over the past two decades, with owners
An Italian alpine resort on Friday remained on high alert over fears that a vast chunk of a glacier on the slopes of the Mont Blanc massif could plummet in high temperatures. “No one gets through! No cars, bikes or pedestrians,” was the message at a checkpoint where an automatic barrier and two guards blocked the small road snaking up into a lush valley below the Planpincieux glacier, near the town of Courmayeur and the Italian-French border. The blockade has largely been greeted with contempt by the locals, one of whom said: “It’s a joke.” The huge ice block measuring around 500,000 cubic
SHOW OF SOLIDARITY: The publisher’s ‘Apple Daily’ newspaper has had to raise the number of copies printed from 70,000 to 550,000 to meet a huge surge in demand They have occupied Hong Kong’s central business district, marched by the hundreds of thousands through the territory’s streets and endured tear gas and pepper spray in pitched battles with riot police. Hong Kong’s pro-democracy supporters are now wielding a new protest weapon: their stock-market trading accounts. To show support for Jimmy Lai (黎智英), the publisher and outspoken government critic who was on Monday arrested under the territory’s new national security legislation, Hong Kongers have been piling into shares of his media company Next Digital. The result: a more than 1,100 percent surge in two days that propelled the stock to a seven-year