Georgia's opposition vowed on Wednesday to stage mass demonstrations over the next few days to demand President Eduard Shevardnadze resign, while the first violent clashes erupted since a disputed parliamentary election.
Dozens of protesters were injured when some 200 opposition demonstrators clashed with around 100 Shevardnadze supporters in Bolnisi, 50km south of the ex-Soviet state's capital, Tbilisi, TV pictures showed.
The most seriously injured were taken to hospital in Tbilisi. TV showed protesters with head injuries and bruising.
Russian Foreign Minister Igor Ivanov said Moscow was worried the situation was out of control in Georgia, which has been convulsed by protests since a parliamentary election that Shevardnadze opponents say was illegal and should be held again.
In another blow to the veteran leader, the chairman of state TV resigned, saying he would not be forced to present a biased view in favor of a president "living in a vacuum."
Denunciations of electoral fraud have snowballed into calls for Shevardnadze to quit by protesters angry over eroded living standards, corruption and a failure to regain territory lost to separatists. Shevardnadze, 75, has refused to go.
The president, who helped end the Cold War as Soviet foreign minister, had expressed hope that publication of the official results, due yesterday, would bring an end to the protests. He has pledged to convene parliament soon after.
On Wednesday, he again warned people against taking part in rallies for fear of triggering a civil war in the mountainous country with a population of around 4.5 million.
"The situation is more critical than I can say," he said. "Remember my one phrase: It is a short step from civil confrontation to civil war."
Mikhail Saakashvili, the main opposition leader, said people would start travelling to Tbilisi yesterday, but many would not arrive until the weekend as they would be on foot.
He said he did not fear any loss of momentum, though protests have dwindled since Friday last week, when he staged the biggest protest seen in Georgia in a decade.
"From tomorrow we will start rallies and we will bring thousands and thousands of people to Tbilisi," he told reporters, refusing to rule out violence on the streets.
"You cannot exclude anything anymore as things are getting more and more dramatic."
Western powers and neighbors have appealed to both sides to resolve the standoff peacefully to prevent a recurrence of the violence that shattered Georgia in the early 1990s.
The country is seen as key to securing an oil pipeline from neighboring Azerbaijan to Turkey's Mediterranean coast -- an alternative to a Gulf outlet.
"The current situation in Georgia is a cause for concern for us, especially the fact that matters have got out of control," Ivanov told CNN in an interview. "We appeal to Georgian president Eduard Shevardnadze and all political forces in the country not to give in to emotion."
Shevardnadze told ministers on Wednesday he was unhappy with state TV. He said it had failed to present his case.
Zaza Shengelia, the channel's chairman, said he could not fulfill Shevardnadze's demands.
"I am very sad that the president today, as he often has, is living in a vacuum. The people around him, many reactionary people, ensure he doesn't have a genuine and clear picture of what is happening in the country," he said.
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting
CHANGING PERCEPTIONS: In its tender, the Hong Kong administration said that it had failed to ‘mobilise the community to support law enforcement actions’ The Hong Kong government has agreed to pay millions of pounds to a discreet London-based PR firm to counter coverage of the territory in the international media. Consulum, which has also represented Saudi Arabian Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, was on Monday awarded the ￡5 million (US$6.2 million) one-year contract to improve Hong Kong’s reputation — the same day that China passed national security legislation targeting the territory. The Mayfair-based PR business was founded by Tim Ryan and Matthew Gunther Bushell, two former employees of Bell Pottinger, an agency that has been criticized for representing some governments and leaders that other businesses