A 14-year-old in Changhua County was on Sunday rushed to a hospital after being stung by hornets more than 50 times while playing baseball.
The teen, surnamed Huang (黃), on Monday said that he accidentally disturbed a hornet’s nest and was attacked by what looked like several hundred hornets emerging from the nest.
Despite being stung dozens of times, Huang was still speaking clearly, Changhua Christian Hospital director Chou Chih-chung (周志中) said, adding that surprised him, as it is possible for even a single hornet sting to be fatal.
Photo courtesy of a local resident surnamed Huang
His age might have helped Huang, as well as being stung on his back and limbs instead of on his head, which would have been more dangerous, Chou said.
A classmate hit the ball into a grassy field and he found himself surrounded by hornets when he went to retrieve it, Huang said.
Huang said that he felt pain and numbness throughout his body after the stings.
Running to a nearby sink, he removed his shirt and kept splashing water over his body until an ambulance arrived, he added.
Huang’s mother said that this was the first time in many years that her son had played baseball at that park.
Two classmates who were playing with Huang were also stung, but much fewer times, she said.
A hornet sting delivers venom into the bloodstream, so stings to the head, where blood flow is more abundant, could be particularly dangerous, Chou said.
“He was lucky the stings were on his limbs and he escaped danger, but we are going to keep monitoring him and treating his stings,” Chou added.
DOING ENOUGH? The HPA budgets NT$1.3 billion to prevent the health hazards of tobacco, but has no separate budget to fight teen drinking, a doctor said The government should step up alcohol education and prevention efforts, and allocate more of the budget to it, doctors said on Friday, citing the high consumption of alcohol among Taiwanese adolescents. One out of four 12-to-17-year-olds has consumed alcohol, said Yen Tsung-hai (顏宗海), director of Linkou Chang Gung Memorial Hospital’s Department of Clinical Toxicology. The Health Promotion Administration (HPA) budgets NT$1.3 billion (US$43.9 million) annually to prevent the health hazards of tobacco, but it has not allocated a separate budget for preventing teenage drinking or excessive alcohol use, Yen said. “There is no so-called ‘safe drinking level’ for minors,” because any amount consumed
The Fancy Frontier manga and anime expo held in Taipei over the weekend has sparked controversy, after a participant allegedly contravened the Act on Offenses Against Sexual Morality (妨害風化罪) by publicly exposing her private parts during a photo shoot. The two-day event opened at the Expo Dome at the Taipei Expo Park on Saturday, attracting numerous comic and anime creators, cosplayers, photographers and fans. Allegedly, a female cosplayer who was not wearing any underwear lifted up her skirt and revealed her private parts at an outdoor photography area near the venue. Event organizers said yesterday that to prevent indecent exposure, they have since
DREAMING OF TRAVEL: About 7,000 people applied for the experience, with about 60 chosen for the first flight yesterday, which includes boarding an airplane Starved of the travel experience during COVID-19? Taipei International Airport (Songshan airport) has the solution — a fake itinerary where you check in, go through passport control and security, and even board the aircraft. You just never leave. The airport yesterday began offering travelers the chance to do just that, with about 60 people eager to get going, albeit to nowhere. About 7,000 people applied to take part, with the winners chosen by random. More fake flight experiences are to take place in the coming weeks. “I really want to leave the country, but because of the pandemic, lots of flights cannot fly,”
YOUNGEST PATIENT: Cases of botulism have been only sporadically reported over the past few years, with two in 2015, six in 2016 and none in the past three years The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) yesterday reported the nation’s first case of infant botulism this year, a four-month-old boy in northern Taiwan, as well as five new cases of Japanese encephalitis confirmed last week. The boy was introduced to homemade solid food in the middle of last month, but began to experience constipation and loss of appetite on June 23, CDC Epidemic Intelligence Center Deputy Director Guo Hung-wei (郭宏偉) said, adding that he was taken to the hospital when he developed a fever and shortness of breath on June 25. In the hospital, the boy also experienced a rapid heartbeat, limb