The Taoyuan District Prosecutors’ Office yesterday asked the court to hand down “the most severe punishment” to a man charged with beheading his mother in Jhongli District (中壢) last year.
Liang Tsung-ming (梁崇銘), a 33-year-old drug addict, stabbed his 67-year-old mother with several knives on Oct. 17 last year after an argument, police said at the time.
They said that Liang cut off his mother’s head and left hand, and threw the head from their 12th-floor apartment into the building’s courtyard and left the hand in their house.
Photo: Hsu Cho-hsun, Taipei Times
Police said they received calls from neighbors who saw and were frightened by the bloody head, adding that they forcibly entered Liang’s house after he refused to open the door.
There were 10 slashes in the woman’s head and 27 in her two arms, while injuries of varying degrees were found across her chest and abdomen, the prosecutors’ office said after an examination by coroners.
She died of hemorrhagic shock and central nervous system shock, the office said.
Prosecutors said that Liang had confessed to crime, but said that he had taken amphethamines two days before his mother’s death and that he could not remember any details.
However, the prosecutors did not buy Liang’s claim, saying that he could clearly recall details of taking drugs and that his mental conditions were as normal as ordinary people.
The office yesterday indicted Liang under the Criminal Code, which imposes a death sentence or life imprisonment for the murder of a lineal progenitor.
It said it had advised judges to give Liang the most severe sentence “for his cruel act and attempt to evade legal responsibility.”
A Taipei veterinarian is urging pet owners to avoid using insecticides around their homes, as their ingredients can be toxic to pets. Commercial-grade insecticides contain pyrethroids — organic compounds similar to natural pyrethrins, pesticides produced by flowers such as chrysanthemums — in quantities that are harmless to humans, but potentially fatal to cats and dogs, Asian Veterinary Specialist Referral Center veterinarian Chua Man-ling (蔡曼琳) said. Even in small quantities, pyrethroids are hazardous to cats, as they lack the metabolic enzymes needed to process them, Chua said. Cockroach sprays and ant traps are especially dangerous to pets as they contain boric acid, she
People should avoid eating too many zongzi (粽子, glutinous rice wrapped in bamboo leaves), as consuming several in one meal could cause indigestion, bloating, gastric acid reflux, heartburn and other stomach ailments, a doctor said on Saturday. Zongzi is a traditional delicacy for the Dragon Boat Festival, which was on Thursday. Citing a recent case as an example, Cathay General Hospital gastroenterology department head Chu Yu-ming (朱淯銘) said that a 58-year-old taxi driver surnamed Hsiao (蕭) ate meals at irregular hours due to his work and has been taking diabetes medicine for three years. Hsiao recently bought a bag of zongzi and ate
DREAMING OF TRAVEL: About 7,000 people applied for the experience, with about 60 chosen for the first flight yesterday, which includes boarding an airplane Starved of the travel experience during COVID-19? Taipei International Airport (Songshan airport) has the solution — a fake itinerary where you check in, go through passport control and security, and even board the aircraft. You just never leave. The airport yesterday began offering travelers the chance to do just that, with about 60 people eager to get going, albeit to nowhere. About 7,000 people applied to take part, with the winners chosen by random. More fake flight experiences are to take place in the coming weeks. “I really want to leave the country, but because of the pandemic, lots of flights cannot fly,”
A DEPRIVATION? The Taiwan Higher Education Union said the program, which drew much student criticism, undermined students' right to an education The Taiwan Higher Education Union on Monday accused Ming Chuan University (MCU) of sacrificing its students’ right to education by altering the English-language instruction for first-year students. The university, which has long emphasized the value that it places on English-language education, in the 2019-2020 academic year changed its English program for first-year students to a combination of self-learning through online videos and weekly lab sessions, during which students would take online tests, the union said. The change has deprived more than 3,000 students of in-person instruction and of interaction with their teachers, the union added. The online program drew much criticism from students