There is no evidence that Taiwanese travelers’ personal information was leaked by allegedly Chinese-made biometric scanners used at the nation’s three international airports, the Ministry of the Interior and the National Immigration Agency said on Sunday.
E-Gate biometric equipment, in use since 2012 at Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport, Kaohsiung International Airport and Taipei International Airport (Songshan airport), allows fast-track processing of frequent travelers via facial recognition and fingerprint scans.
Last month, prosecutors and anti-corruption personnel began investigating officials and contractors for allegedly circumventing government rules barring the use of Chinese-made equipment for national security-related purposes.
Experts from an unnamed national security agency are examining the e-Gate equipment, Deputy Minister of the Interior Lin Tzu-ling (林慈玲) said, adding that they have found no evidence that suggests the system was compromised by Chinese firmware.
The ministry does not believe there is a present national security risk with the e-Gate equipment, but have advised national security officials to warn the ministry immediately if and when they identify security vulnerabilities, she said.
“We cannot guarantee with absolute certainty that the system is not compromised, but we will be conducting follow-up checks of the system,” she said.
New Power Party (NPP) Legislator Hsu Yung-ming (徐永明) said there are reasons to suspect the e-Gate contractors are connected to the Chinese government’s military establishment.
“The issue is complicated by the fact that the contractors that are accused of corruption had sent personnel to Shenzhen, China, for so-called training. It is a cause for concern that the Chinese military could be attempting to infiltrate Taiwan through private contractors,” he said.
“The National Security Bureau and the Investigation Bureau must investigate the case throughly,” Hsu said.
The National Immigration Agency said the Government Procurement Act (政府採購法) and other regulations forbid contractors to use Chinese software or hardware for biometric identification equipment.
If the allegations are true, the e-Gate contractors had breached the contract and the agency will hold them accountable for contractual liabilities, which would result in fines and other penalties, the agency said.
“This incident has grave implications. The government should go beyond the judicial investigation and have the executive agencies start internal investigations to get to the truth,” Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Legislator Chao Tien-lin (趙天麟) said.
DPP Legislator Chen Chi-mai (陳其邁) said he is to demand the Ministry of the Interior explain why Chinese products were used in sensitive equipment that might have compromised national information security.
The e-Gate’s procurement cost the public an estimated NT$52 million (US$1.73 million).
The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office and the Agency Against Corruption on Nov. 13 questioned the people implicated in the scandal and searched their offices.
Transtep Technology Group owner Lee Chi-shen (李奇申) and the then-immigration agency Official Shih Ming-te (施明德) were released on bail of NT$1 million each.
The authorities said Lee and Shih are suspected of offering and taking bribes, in addition to violating the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例) and the Government Procurement Act.
Lee Chi-shen claimed his software costs less and has fewer hardware requirements than Microsoft, IBM and Oracle’s competing proprietary systems, because it makes use of open protocols, an inside source told the Chinese-language Liberty Times (the sister-paper of Taipei Times’ sister paper).
The prosecutors suspect that Lee struck deals with multiple parties in the scheme and he might have connections to people of interest in China, the source said.
Prosecutors and anti-corruption officials discovered Lee had used Ho Fan Co as a front to obtain the bid, purchased Chinese-made equipment via Ho Fan, then falsified the manufacturer information to skirt regulations, the source said.
Additional reporting by Chen Yu-fu, Hsieh Chun-lin, Su Fang-ho and Wang Kuan-jen
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a