The Taipei City Government should give priority to disabled people in renting out joint development housing projects, members of the People’s Democratic Front (PDF) yesterday said, as they also called for rent to be based on the tenants’ income rather than market prices.
They protested outside a city government-sponsored forum on “social housing.”
“The severely disabled have relatively rigid transportation needs — so of course you need to live somewhere convenient,” said Chou Chih-wen (周志文), a research specialist with the PDF’s disability rights group.
He said that people with disabilities should be given priority because “the best places should be given to those with the greatest needs.”
“We feel that joint development housing would be the most convenient place for us to live, as well the most convenient place from which to commute to school or hospitals,” he said.
Under joint development agreements, the city receives a certain portion of luxury apartments built by private contractors on prime land appropriated by the city as part of the MRT construction process.
Taipei Mayor Ko Wen-je’s (柯文哲) administration has chosen to rent out the newly completed luxury apartments at a discount as “social housing,” instead of selling them like previous administrations.
However, Chou said the discounted rate is still too expensive for renters from disadvantaged groups, adding that the government should not tie rental fees to market rates.
“A discount of only 15 percent is totally out of touch with reality because there is absolutely no way we can afford those rates,” he said.
The policy also violates the spirit of the Housing Act (住宅法), which serves as the legal foundation for publicly owned social housing, he said.
The law stipulates that the purpose of social housing is to provide residences for people from disadvantaged groups, he said, calling for rents to be based on a fixed percentage of renter’s income rather than market rates.
City plans to rent out the apartments it owns within joint developments as social housing have led to protests from neighbors, who are concerned that renting to people from disadvantaged groups would drive down their property values.
A proposal by the Taiwan Railways Administration (TRA) to permanently ban sitting in Taipei Railway Station’s main hall has received a mixed reaction online, with some social media users vowing to launch a sit-in at the station. Gatherings at the hall have been prohibited since Feb. 29 in accordance with the Central Epidemic Command Center’s policy of reducing crowd sizes in public places. A Facebook user organizing the sit-in said that the hall is a public space and there is no legitimate reason to ban sitting on the floor. He said he suspected that the proposal was made due to business considerations and
Chinese over-the-top (OTT) service provider iQiyi cannot register as a provider in Taiwan after the Mainland Affairs Council declared it to be an illegal service, the National Communications Commission (NCC) said yesterday. Both iQiyi and WeTV were deemed to be illegal Chinese OTT operators in an interdepartmental meeting on Friday last week, officials said, adding that this prohibits them from marketing their services in Taiwan or seeking subscribers. The government plans to block a local server that iQiyi has been using to transmit content to domestic audiences, which would disrupt its content transmission. OTT Entertainment Ltd, which is enlisted by iQiyi to
The Taipei Grand Mosque yesterday said its earlier decision to cancel Eid al-Fitr celebrations on Sunday to mark the end of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan would stand, even though there have been no new domestic cases of COVID-19 in more than a month. It will be the first time in 60 years that the event has not be held at the mosque. The Ministry of Labor had asked all mosques to suspend Eid al-Fitr celebrations and prayers this year, due to COVID-19 concerns, and encouraged Muslims to pray at home. This year Ramadan began on April 23 and is to
KAOHSIUNG VOTE: A city official allegedly wrote a message calling on supporters of Kaohsiung Mayor Han Kuo-yu not to participate in the vote next month Prosecutors on Wednesday initiated an investigation of Kaohsiung Civil Affairs Bureau Director-General Tsao Huan-jung (曹桓榮) for allegedly telling supporters of Kaohsiung Mayor Han Kuo-yu (韓國瑜) to interfere with a recall vote against Han, while pan-green politicians denounced the mayor and his team for devising ways to obstruct voting. After receiving complaints from residents, the Kaohsiung District Prosecutors’ Office launched its probe of Tsao for alleged breaches of the Civil Servants Election and Recall Act (公職人員選舉罷免法). Complainants provided evidence that Tsao on Saturday last week wrote on messaging app Line that Han supporters should not vote in the June 6 recall vote, saying: