President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) yesterday stood firm on his stance to launch the controversial adjustments made to high-school curriculum guidelines as he addressed one of the debatable items regarding Aborigines.
The government “harbored no ill intent” by changing the term “Aborigines” (原住民) to “Aboriginal ethnicity” (原住民族), Ma said when he delivered a speech at the national conference on indigenous issues.
Ma said that the replacement was made because “Aboriginal ethnicity” is the term generally used in the Republic of China Constitution and law.
“In this regard, the change was made to help indigenous people create a sense of belonging and build autonomy. This was our ultimate objective,” Ma said, without elaborating on how the change would achieve that goal.
Aboriginal activist groups said the reintroduction of “Aboriginal ethnicity” in the new guidelines, to be launched today, demonstrates how the curriculums are guided by “Han-centered” historical views only.
As defined under the Indigenous Peoples Basic Act (原住民族基本法), “Aboriginal ethnicity” only refers to the 16 recognized Aboriginal tribes, meaning that the Pingpu tribes do not exist, with the exception of the Kavalan tribe, recognized as the 11th Aboriginal tribe in 2002.
Pingpu tribes refer to the nation’s plains-dwelling Aborigines, who belong to several different tribes, each with its own distinct culture.
Meanwhile, reporters hurled questions at Ma when he arrived at the conference venue, asking if his administration would respond to the demands of the students that the new version of the curriculum guidelines be revoked and Minister of Education Wu Se-hwa (吳思華) step down over the controversy.
Ma walked quickly into the conference room without answering the questions.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not