The National Security Bureau is devising security measures in the event of there being three sets of candidates in the 2016 presidential election, the agency’s budget proposal shows.
Preparatory work and procurement items were listed on the budget at a meeting of the legislature’s Foreign Affairs and National Defense Committee this week, at which lawmakers reviewed the bureau’s budget proposal for security arrangements and new equipment purchases ahead of the 2016 presidential election.
Current projections conveyed the possibility of three presidential tickets and the bureau is therefore planning personnel assignments for three teams of bodyguards, which would be bolstered by the agency’s special service units, it said.
According to a senior bureau official who declined to be named, there is a high likelihood that a “third force” or independent alliance group separate from the nation’s two major political denominations — the pan-blue camp led by the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) and the pan-green camp led by the Democratic Progressive Party — will join the 2016 race.
Much has been said about the possible emergence of a “third force” coalition in the aftermath of the Sunflower movement against the government’s handling of the cross-strait trade service pact and the election of independent Taipei Mayor Ko Wen-je (柯文哲) last year.
Each security team would be responsible for protecting the presidential and vice presidential candidates, the bureau source said, adding that each unit would consist of about 45 officers.
Some special security measures also came to light at the legislative session, at which the bureau presented a budget requisition for review. The budget contained more than NT$60 million (US$1.88 million) in special allocations for the procurement of new vehicles.
Among the items requested were two new bulletproof campaign trucks from foreign automotive manufacturers to bolster the bureau’s fleet to four vehicles. The vehicles requested are modified flatbed trucks with armor plating and each would be outfitted with two 200-watt megaphones.
The requisition is for trucks with an open-top rear cargo bay candidates can stand on during campaign events from which they can interact with people on the streets.
The bureau’s budget also included requisitions for 12 seven-seater police cars, 18 five-seater police cruisers, two double-cab trucks, four heavy-duty motorcycles, as well as two 21-seater minibuses and two 3.5-tonne trucks to transport equipment and assist police units.
However, some lawmakers said the planned costs are exorbitant, adding that other than the security vehicles designated to carry the candidates, all other items must be purchased from Taiwanese manufacturers.
A decision was made to freeze NT$3 million of the budget proposals for new vehicles, along with a NT$910,000 cut for a number of proposed purchases of equipment for security personnel who are to safeguard candidates’ residences.
DIPLOMATIC MOVES: Beijing is reportedly pressing the state after reports of forming links with Taiwan, while the ministry is also planning to reopen its office in Guam soon A representative office is set to open in Somaliland at the end of this month, at the earliest, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) said yesterday amid reports that Beijing is sending a diplomatic delegation to the east African country. The ministry on July 1 announced that Taiwan and Somaliland would establish representative offices, following a report by the Somaliland Chronicle Web site. It said at the time that the two nations did not plan to establish formal ties. Somaliland President Muse Bihi Abdi has instructed close confidants to explore the possibility of “mutual recognition between Taiwan and Somaliland,” the Somaliland Chronicle reported
The Supreme Court on Tuesday found four men guilty of attempted murder in the 2017 stabbing of Spanish surfer Ignacio Prio on a Pingtung County beach in the final ruling in the case, sentencing them to three-and-a-half to six years in prison. The defendants had appealed their convictions for attempted murder in the first and second rulings, which had also led to prison sentences ranging from three-and-a-half years to six years. The then-42-year-old Prio went to Jialeshui Beach (佳樂水) near Kenting (墾丁) on March 31, 2017, was attacked after he asked four men to remove their fishing lines from an area
‘IMMORAL, INSINCERE’: Huang Kun-huei said that Ma was ‘distorting history’ in claiming that Lee Teng-hui laid the foundation for the so-called ‘1992 consensus’ Former Presidential Office secretary-general Huang Kun-huei (黃昆輝) on Saturday rejected former president Ma Ying-jeou’s (馬英九) claim that former president Lee Teng-hui (李登輝) had been a proponent of Beijing’s “one China” principle. Lee, who served as president from 1988 to 2000, died in Taipei on Thursday last week. After visiting the Taipei Guest House on Saturday to pay his respects to Lee, Ma posted on Facebook that “28 years ago on this day” Lee hosted a session of the now-defunct National Unification Council, during which he passed a resolution on the “one China” principle. That resolution became the basis of the Chinese Nationalist Party’s
NEW ERA: Taiwan, which has controlled its virus outbreak, now faces the challenge of safely resuming economic exchanges with other nations, Chang Shan-chwen said People should not focus entirely on having zero new confirmed COVID-19 cases in Taiwan, but neglect overall control over the disease situation, Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) specialist advisory panel convener Chang Shan-chwen (張上淳) said yesterday. Chang made the remark at a forum in Taipei discussing the steps Taiwan should take in the post-pandemic era, organized by the Chinese-language magazine Global Views Monthly. Chang, Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Director-General Chou Jih-haw (周志浩), and Stanford University’s Center for Policy, Outcomes and Prevention director C. Jason Wang (王智弘) each made a presentation, followed by a panel discussion with Chang, Wang and Buddhist Tzu