The explosions in Greater Kao
hsiung’s Cianjhen (前鎮) and Lingya (苓雅) districts last week have caused at least 1,500 stores to close temporarily as the city government works to rebuild roads and repair structural damage caused by the blasts.
Tsai Chih-liang (蔡志亮), the owner of an electrical appliances store, said he opened for business on Sunday, but that the ruined roads have definitely affected customer numbers.
Photo: Fang Chih-hsien, Taipei Times
Tsai said he estimated he would be lucky to make NT$5 million (US$166,600) this year, half of what he usually sees in annual sales, due to the blasts.
Hundreds of businesses on Lizai Road, which was completely ruined, have closed due to a lack of customers.
A scooter repair shop owner surnamed Liu (劉), who has run his business for 30 years, said Yisin Road used to offer many business opportunities due to its large volume of pedestrian traffic, but the explosions have changed that.
Photo: CNA
“I heard it will take half a year for the roads to be repaved, and while I want to move the business temporarily, there are no good spots,” Liu said.
Wang Mao-pin (王茂彬), the owner of an event decoration store, said that while he can still conduct his business online, he was at a loss as to how to provide supplies as trucks are unable to reach his store, adding that he did not know what his losses might add up to.
Kaisyuan Road, commonly called “car rental street” due to the number of car rental agencies on it, was also severely hit by the blasts, with cars and buildings damaged.
Photo: Ko You-hao, Taipei Times
Some business owners on Kaisyuan Road are already seeking to relocate rather than wait for reconstruction to finish, saying they had to make a living and “couldn’t stand around and starve.”
The Greater Kaohsiung Government said it was preparing to repair 6km of road damaged by the explosions.
Economic Development Bureau Director Tseng Wen-sheng (曾文生) said that 1,275 companies that have registered for compensation related to the disaster so far.
There are easily 1,500 stores that suffered damage from the explosions, but have not registered, Tseng said, adding that the losses the stores have suffered are off the charts.
The city government will reduce taxes for stores affected by the blasts and construct paths to allow access to areas without roading, Tseng said, adding that businesses could also apply for social aid.
Yesterday morning, traffic in Cianjhen District was in gridlock on the first business day after the blasts ripped up several streets in the district on Thursday night and early Friday morning.
The roads were clogged with vehicles as police blocked traffic into the area to allow technicians to check for gas leaks in underground pipelines.
In the Sanduo business center, which is usually packed with shoppers, it was relatively slow yesterday morning.
Meanwhile, soldiers deployed to help with rescue operations continued to dig in the area, searching for people killed in the disaster, while residents tried to deal with the stench of what they believe to be decomposing bodies.
Additional reporting by CNA
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the