The computer-aided war-games portion of the annual Han Kuang military exercises will be held next month and the drill will focus on a simulation of a battle group of the Liaoning, China’s first aircraft carrier, attacking Taiwan’s east coast, the Ministry of National Defense said yesterday.
Major General Mei Chia-shu (梅家樹), vice director of the ministry’s Operations and Planning Division, told a press conference that the computer-aided war games are to take place from May 19 to 23 to examine the military’s joint homeland defense capability.
The war games will simulate a Chinese force launching full-scale warfare against the nation, with its Liaoning aircraft carrier battle group moving to waters east of Taiwan and attacking the nation from the sea, the ministry said.
The nation’s new weapon systems, including AH-64 Apache helicopters, Thunderbolt-2000 multiple launch rocket systems and P-3C anti-submarine warfare patrol aircraft, will join the computer-aided drill, the ministry added.
Mei said the goal of the computer-aided war games is to practice difficult joint arms warfare scenarios and strengthen the military’s joint warfare capability.
The scenarios and result of the war games are to serve as a reference for live-fire exercises scheduled to take place in September.
Meanwhile, Pai Chieh-lung (白捷隆), a human resources official at the ministry, said the ministry’s recruitment plan this year has gone well and the recruitment target has been met.
He said the ministry planned to recruit 5,920 personnel, but as of Sunday 8,634 people have already signed up to become volunteer soldiers.
The government has been offering incentives for young people to pursue a military career. On Jan. 1, the government raised monthly allowances for volunteer soldiers and non-commissioned officers by between NT$2,000 and NT$4,000.
Taiwan plans to shift to an all-volunteer force by 2017. It originally planned for the transition to be completed by next year, but pushed the date back due to lower-than-expected recruitment numbers.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the