An alliance of anti-nuclear groups yesterday gave the government an ultimatum to announce by Thursday a halt to construction of the Fourth Nuclear Power Plant in New Taipei City’s Gongliao District (貢寮) and operations on the nation’s first, second and third plants.
The groups said if their condition are not met, they would stage a continuous protest on Ketagalan Boulevard and besiege the Presidential Office Building.
They also called for the government to “give power back to the people” and to amend the “birdcage” Referendum Act (公民投票法) because of what they called its “unusually” high threshold.
Photo: CNA
The event’s head coordinator and Green Citizens’ Action Alliance secretary-general, Tsuei Su-hsin (崔愫欣), told a press conference on Ketagalan Boulevard yesterday that a series of events would be held in support of former Democratic Progressive Party chairman Lin I-hsiung’s (林義雄) planned hunger strike today.
The groups said that multiple anti-nuclear events were launched yesterday nationwide in opposition to the construction of the Fourth Nuclear Power Plant.
At Greater Kaohsiung’s Formosa Boulevard KMRT Station, the Southern Taiwan Anti-Nuclear Alliance yesterday handed out yellow ribbons. At Taipei’s Daan Forest Park, anti-nuclear protesters are to gather every evening starting tonight, Tsui said.
In Chiayi County, students from National Chung Cheng University are organizing anti-nuclear appeals involving staging sit-ins on campus and an event outside the Chiayi Railway Station, Tsui added.
At the Greater Taichung high-speed rail station, student sit-ins are planned nightly starting today, Tsui said, adding that civic forums would also be held in Chiayi on Thursday and Friday.
Tsui urged supporters to wear or tie the yellow ribbons to their bags to help symbolize the unity and ubiquity of the movement, adding that the joint coalition would also post a petition to its Web site today.
Tsui added that she hoped supporters of the movement would start putting pressure on local legislators and candidates in the seven-in-one elections.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not