The Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) and its Chairman Su Tseng-chang (蘇貞昌) have apologized after Su used campaign rhetoric when voicing support for the student protest inside and around the Legislative Yuan on Friday.
Su late on Friday posted a personal apology on Facebook for what he said was a “slip of the tongue” when he shouted his endorsement for the DPP’s Taichung mayoral candidate in the year-end elections.
Su was addressing a DPP-mobilized crowd, which gathered outside the Legislative Yuan to lend its support to the student protesters.
The DPP chairman promised not to make the same mistake again.
Many of the pact’s critics said it would hurt Taiwan’s small and medium-sized businesses and people’s livelihoods.
Su’s Facebook post followed a similar apology made by DPP spokesperson Xavier Chang (張惇涵) earlier in the day, which cited “the supporters’ overwhelming enthusiasm” as the reason for Su’s unexpected remark.
Recent DPP involvement in public protests over the agreement has drawn criticism from some participants and observers.
The DPP has accused the pact of lacking transparency during its negotiation and has warned of the potential damage it could do to Taiwan’s service industry and even national security.
With students now out in full force protesting for a detailed review of the trade agreement, some feel the DPP is riding the wave of discontent for its political gain.
In addition to applauding the students for storming the Legislative Yuan, Su has ordered the party’s public office holders to take turns in sitting with the protesters outside the legislature.
However, the student protesters appear to want to keep the DPP party at a distance.
Some criticized the appearance of DPP election-related banners and material around the Legislative Yuan on Friday.
Shortly afterward, the DPP called on party members to “not carry flags or wear vests or other items related to individual candidates” when participating in the student-led demonstrations around the country.
FAMILY FEUD: Weng Jen-hsien, who was convicted of killing six people in 2016, was the second prisoner to be executed since President Tsai Ing-wen took office A death row inmate was executed on Wednesday, less than a year after he was convicted of killing six people by setting fire to his home. Minister of Justice Tsai Ching-hsiang (蔡清祥) said that he signed the order and the death sentence was carried out on Wednesday afternoon in New Taipei City. The Supreme Court on July 10 last year sentenced 53-year-old Weng Jen-hsien (翁仁賢) to death after he was convicted of killing his parents, niece, nephew and nephew’s wife and his parents’ caregivers. Weng set fire to his home in Taoyuan’s Longtan District (龍潭) on Feb. 7, 2016, after a family feud
At a campground in Nantou County, a team of women are using ropes to shimmy up a towering seven-story tall Chinaberry tree, fighting their fear of heights and reconnecting with nature. Tree climbing remains somewhat niche in Taiwan, but a growing number of women are embracing the challenge thanks to the island’s first international certified female climber arborist. Sylvia Hsu (許芢涵), 26, said she was inspired to set up her own women-only tree climbing classes after seeing the popularity of similar gatherings in Europe. “A women-only camp is a more relaxed environment,” she said. “I was hooked on trees after my first climb...
Police in Kaohsiung are investigating a possible murder after a woman’s body was found in a plastic container on Thursday. The bucket was found by a person operating an excavator on a construction site at a private lot next to the Ciaotou Sugar Refinery Station (橋頭糖廠站) on the Kaohsiung Mass Rapid Transit system. Police investigator Chen Jen-cheng (陳仁正) yesterday said police had reviewed missing person reports and have narrowed the identity of the victim down to about 20 possible people. Physical evidence suggested she might have been a Fongshan District (鳳山) woman surnamed Lin (林), who was about 60 years old when she
IN PRINCIPLE: The Central Epidemic Command Center began yesterday to ban visits to hospitalized patients, Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung said The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday announced 10 new COVID-19 cases — eight imported and two locally transmitted — bringing the nation’s tally of confirmed cases to 339. The imported cases involved six men and two women, all Taiwanese, who had traveled to Austria, Canada, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Indonesia, countries in Latin America, the UK or the US before arriving back in Taiwan between March 6 and Tuesday, center data showed. Among them, patient No. 338 was part of a tour group that traveled to Austria and the Czech Republic, and has resulted in an infection cluster of five cases,