A gas leak aboard an Yilan County-registered fishing boat yesterday killed an Indonesian crewman and injured 13 other people.
The Yilan County Fire Department said it received a telephone call at 8am that several fishermen had become ill because of an apparent gas leak while cleaning a ship’s cargo hold in Suao (蘇澳).
The men working on the No. 268Hsin Ching Fu (新景福) had fainted and were rescued by the crew of a neighboring boat and a police officer on patrol, who dragged them out of the hold, but the rescuers became sick as well, the fire department said.
The injured men were sent to Pohai Hospital, Saint Mary’s Hospital and the local branch of Taipei Veterans Hospital, the department said.
The fire department said it was investigating the accident.
Taipei Veterans General Hospital’s Suao branch said the Indonesian was dead upon arrival, while two fishermen were comatose, the fire department said.
The Yilan Environmental Protection Bureau said it sent officials to take samples of the gas.
The ship’s chief engineer told the bureau officials that the crew were preparing the boat for a fishing trip and had been sent into the hold to clear the water in it because the water could not be pumped out.