The Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) caucus yesterday said it would end its month-long boycott of Premier Jiang Yi-huah’s (江宜樺) policy report to the Legislative Yuan today.
“Caucus members have reached a consensus that we will let Jiang make his report tomorrow,” DPP caucus whip Ker Chien-ming (柯建銘) said after the caucus met in the afternoon, the third meeting it has held over the issue.
The public has focused on whether the DPP would continue its boycott and what its next step would be to hold President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) and Jiang accountable for “infringing the Constitution and inciting political instability” after a no-confidence motion against the Cabinet failed to pass on Tuesday.
Photo: Liao Chen-huei, Taipei Times
The caucus is scheduled to hold a press conference at 10am to discuss the conduct of Ma, Jiang and other officials as well as its “a new front” against the Ma administration.
Ker did not specify what the party’s next step would be, but most observers assumed the DPP could initiate either a recall campaign or impeachment — or both — against the president.
It was unlikely the DPP could maintain its boycott of Jiang’s speech after the no-confidence motion failed, Ker said, but “the public’s power would make Jiang step down eventually.”
Saying that the premier was involved in Ma’s political conspiracy to remove Legislative Speaker Wang Jin-pyng (王金平) from his post, DPP lawmakers have blocked Jiang’s report to six plenary sessions of the legislature, demanding Jiang apologize to the people and to the legislature.
However, DPP lawmakers had been divided over whether to maintain the boycott today and had not been able to reach an agreement in previous caucus meetings.
DPP headquarters said on Wednesday that it would respect whatever decision the caucus made.
At a campground in Nantou County, a team of women are using ropes to shimmy up a towering seven-story tall Chinaberry tree, fighting their fear of heights and reconnecting with nature. Tree climbing remains somewhat niche in Taiwan, but a growing number of women are embracing the challenge thanks to the island’s first international certified female climber arborist. Sylvia Hsu (許芢涵), 26, said she was inspired to set up her own women-only tree climbing classes after seeing the popularity of similar gatherings in Europe. “A women-only camp is a more relaxed environment,” she said. “I was hooked on trees after my first climb...
Police in Kaohsiung are investigating a possible murder after a woman’s body was found in a plastic container on Thursday. The bucket was found by a person operating an excavator on a construction site at a private lot next to the Ciaotou Sugar Refinery Station (橋頭糖廠站) on the Kaohsiung Mass Rapid Transit system. Police investigator Chen Jen-cheng (陳仁正) yesterday said police had reviewed missing person reports and have narrowed the identity of the victim down to about 20 possible people. Physical evidence suggested she might have been a Fongshan District (鳳山) woman surnamed Lin (林), who was about 60 years old when she
Taiwanese have donated more than NT$10 million (US$329,946) to fight the COVID-19 outbreak in Italy, following an appeal for help by a Yilan-based Italian priest to save his “other homeland.” Catholic Father Giuseppe Didone on Wednesday issued a public letter asking for donations to be made to the fundraising center of Camillian Saint Mary’s Hospital Luodong to purchase emergency provisions, including surgical masks and protective gowns, for medical personnel in Italy. Didone yesterday expressed his gratitude and said that he was touched by the love shown by Taiwanese. While state-funded hospitals in Italy are mostly adequately supplied, many local clinics are suffering from
Taiwanese sports are to return next weekend, with the baseball and soccer leagues starting their new seasons, although there are to be restrictions for spectators and protective measures due to COVID-19. The Chinese Professional Baseball League (CPBL) season was originally scheduled to begin on March 14, then pushed back to March 28, before settling on next Saturday. “To conform with the government’s mandate limiting crowds at outdoor events, we will strictly limit the total number of people at each league game at fewer than 200,” CPBL secretary-general Feng Shen-hsieng (馮勝賢) said. “This figure will include the players, coaches, team employees, ballpark